Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Test results  (Read 865 times)

Emerald

Test results
« on: June 14, 2022, 06:44:24 AM »

Saw the nurse last week as I suspected the menopause.  Blood test results back and the FSH level is 71, Serum LH level is 59 and Serum progesterone is <1.

Overall result = abnormal.

Should I be concerned with these results?

I have an appointment with the doctor next week for the results and to consider / prescribe HRT.  I’m abit concerned about taking HRT.

I’m really ‘flat’ atm as it’s all about unknown.

VanillaLover

Re: Test results
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 07:36:24 AM »

Hi, yes that FSH is very high. Sounds like you are pretty far into the menopause. How old are you, do you still have periods? What are your symptoms you would like to control with HRT?

ATB

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 08:06:45 AM »

What concerns do you have about HRT?

VanillaLover

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 11:17:31 AM »

Also what day of your cycle (if you have one) we’re the bloods taken ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 11:46:45 AM »

Peri-menopause is the years: as much as 10 years prior: leading up the the last monthly period = menopause.  However, it is sometimes difficult until we have been 2 years without a bleed to realise that we are through The Change.  Even then Nature can have a flurry if the ovaries kick off, i.e. another show or bleed  ::)

HRT can protect heart and bones.  It can ease hot flushes and generally improve over all well being.  MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress would help.  Also, if 1 begins HRT but it doesn't suit, there are several ways of delivering various amounts of product.

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads, as these conditions are really helped by local application of oestrogen replcamemtn.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there ! the sooner 1 recognises the symptoms: which can mimic repeated urine infection type feelings really really well  >:( : the sooner 1 can begin treatment.  Altuohg called HRT it's different to other types. 

Let us know how you get on.

Emerald

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 12:20:13 PM »

Thank you everyone.

I’m 49. Had hysterectomy 15 years ago but retained my ovaries.  I’m coeliac and have oestopenia.  Lol…. A lot going on.  My hips ache terribly.  I’m not sure about HRT as I don’t seem to have mood issues, but I do now recognise I get brain fog, and started to get hot flush a week before my 49th birthday (last month)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »

R U against HRT ?  As oestrogen levels drop, so muscles may become lax = aches and pains. Also the skin may become dry: inside and out ; scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, anus, skin, between the toes ......... DH uses 'nivea' where appropriate. 

Let us know how you get on.

laszla

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »

Hi Emerald, the most important blood result you need to gauge your situation is the one for oestradiol which you don't list here - can you check whether that was included?

Emerald

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 07:50:16 PM »

I’ve had another look at the test results but no mention of oestradiol.  I’ll ask Dr next week. 

re HRT. I’m not against taking it, it’s just the unknown and I’m not looking forward to trailing difficult meds until i find the right one.  I’m not keen on taking any medication normally. 

Thank you for your help.