Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Smear Update  (Read 849 times)

Opal

Smear Update
« on: June 13, 2022, 02:29:42 PM »

I have had a letter to invite me for a smear and when I called the surgery they have advised I will need to be off the vagifem for 14 days before they can do it is this correct

Update:- just back from doctors had Smear and she said that the practice manager is sending the nurse on further menopause training as the info she has been giving out is wrong, small speculum used what a difference
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 02:42:02 PM by Opal »

Taz2

Re: Smear
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »

I don't think this is correct at all. In the past I had to use it for a couple of weeks when I was uncomfortable due to VA ending 5 days before the smear. This is the advice from one of our local GP practices https://www.cavershamgrouppractice.co.uk/articles/making-your-smear-comfortable/#:~:text=There%20is%20an%20easy%20solution,skin%20softer%20and%20less%20sore. I'm not sure what others think.  :-\

Opal

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 03:06:33 PM »

Taz2 thanks for this my nurse is an idiot I didn't think I had to be off for 14 days will just do what your surgery says as I don't think I could manage for for that length of time

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »

I agree! I think the test would be very uncomfortable. My VA worsens quickly if I stop treatment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »

Nothing would take many women away from their VA treatment ;-).  MayB use the 'vagifem' for 2 mornings instead of night, then nothing the day B4 the smear test, the whip a dose up as soon as you get. home?

Opal

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »

I called the doctor and she has said I have not to listen to the nurse and to use the vagifem 48 hours before smear and she is now going to do it for me instead of nurse and she has said she will ensure that she uses a small speculum

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 02:00:18 PM »

She needs to inform the Practice Manager, the GPs and Nurses in the Practice mayB?

Let us know how you get on.

Stella2

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 02:23:50 PM »

How strange, I was on daily Vagifem when I had my smear couple of months ago. Nobody said anything about it and I had a good chat with the nurse about it. She also used a small speculum and it was not painful.