Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dry thinning hair and dry nails  (Read 903 times)

Ljp

Dry thinning hair and dry nails
« on: June 12, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »

Hi ladies,
I’ve been on hrt for 6 years and testosterone for almost 3 years.

I’m getting concerned by my hair thinning and being so dry and brittle ( I was a hairdresser and my hair is so important to me)

I also have dry tiny white bits on my nails that no amount of OPI dry/brittle formula is improving(not the white marks you get from calcium/bumping)

I have put on a stone and a half in the last two years but have been on antidepressants for a year and it’s definitely contributed to weight gain.

I just feel I’m not the person I was prior to lockdowns.
Any ideas please?

Wondering if testosterone isn’t helping? but it has really helped my vaginal atrophy issues.

I paid privately for a thyroid blood test and it shows my thyroxine level is 0.5 lower that what’s considered normal. But all the other thyroid function levels are fine, so don’t know if it’s something I should be concerned about.

Just hate how my hair is feeling and looking 😢
I’m weaning off the anti depressants at present

Marchlove

Re: Dry thinning hair and dry nails
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 10:23:59 AM »

Hi Ljp

Have a Google of what mineral deficiency causes
White spots on nails
Dry and brittle hair

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:39 AM »

I have ridges and the white spots in the nails, apparently due to ageing.   ::).  However, although I keep nails short, the ends still chip! there's a limit as to how much more I can file off.   :-\

Dry hair - how is your diet?  As a kid we ate raw jelly cubes, what was that about  ::)  ;D  :-X

White spots are often due to the cuticle area being damaged which should grow out. 

What R U using on your hair?  I rarely put conditioner on, keeping to baby shampoo as well as not washing too often.  Until I look like a hedge has interrupted my daily walk ;-).  Warmed Olive oil is supposed to be good for massaging the scalp with, then wrapping in a towel .......  is it a technique that you would recommend?

Sheri

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 02:33:36 PM »

My hair is thinning & falling out. Turned out my ferritin was very low, so started Ferrous Sulphate, omega 3 oils,b  complex & biotin. I also started using pantene for menopausal hair & the hair multiplier serum. It has thickened up my hair quite abit. But my hair has always lank so no difference there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 02:52:55 PM »

Tnx. Sheri.  Earlier this year my hair began to not thin exactly, but not grow back as quickly, explained by my hairdresser as due to hormone disruption.  Also the follicles slow down as we age  ::)