Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Ultrogeston  (Read 842 times)

Jan1234

Ultrogeston
« on: June 08, 2022, 02:37:33 PM »

Hi ive been on ultrogeston /oestrogel for jhst over 4 months now i take iy vaginally as i cant tolerate the dizziness when using it orally, i feel great on it but im bleeding or spotting all the time but im trying to persvere it as i feel so good, anyhow il get to the point, ive spoken to my gp 2 day and she as said now ive got to change to oral to see if that stops the bleedimg or change to a mirena coil which im not keen to do, anyhow my question is im sure i read on here that using it vaginally hits the spot better that orally i insert it as high as i can, is my gp making sense cause i thought vaginally would be a better effect any advise please

Nas

Re: Ultrogeston
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 03:40:14 PM »

Bleeding or spotting is common during the first 6 months of HRT.
After that, it needs to be investigated if you have have gone without a period for 12+ months prior to starting HRT.

Utrogestan is licensed for oral use only.
However, many ladies take it vaginally to avoid unwanted side effects.

It might be that the utrogestan isn’t sufficient to protect your womb lining, hence the bleeds.

In theory, vaginal use should be better because as you say, it hits the right spot.

After 6 months, if you are still bleeding, you may want to think about switching progesterone? The coil is one option, but there are others.

Good luck .

Jan1234

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »

Hi nas ive been on hrt for years after having poyps removed in feb was switched to this hrt ive had the all clear from gynecology so all fine there i just dont understand why she as told me to change to oral i dont want a mirena coil but gp is pressuring me.

Nas

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 05:16:33 PM »

Oh right I see.

So are you bleeding when you take utrogestan vaginally? If not, just take it that way and not orally. Your gp will never know and lots of ladies take it that way.

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 05:21:35 PM »

Are you taking the utrogestan daily, vaginally? OR every other day? (Some doctors say you only need half the dose when vaginal, so tell you to reduce to every other day 100mg - which isn't enough for some women. If you are doing every other day, you could first try every day....).

Jan1234

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 07:45:59 PM »

Hi nas yes ive used it vaginally for 4 months as cant tolerate rhw dizziness in mornings after taking it orally and im bleeding thaga why she wants me to try orally my laat chance on this now,

Jan1234

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 07:47:31 PM »

Hi jazel i take it everyday ahe wont reduce the dosage only up it ive tryed upping it and made me bleed heavier

Nas

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 08:05:07 PM »

It may settle yet, otherwise request an alternative progesterone I guess?

What about if you take it earlier in the evening? Would that reduce the dizziness?

Jan1234

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 08:12:25 PM »

Nas thats wat il have to  try i feel ao good on this one its just the bleeding i hope it will settle rhanks for your replies

joziel

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 08:20:34 PM »

If it makes you feel dizzy taking it orally, maybe keep taking it for a good few weeks because it can take a while to settle. Most of the progesterone side effects do go away if you give them long enough.

If you keep bleeding taking it orally or it still makes you dizzy, and you don't want the coil, you'll have to try a different progesterone. You could try Evorel Conti or Femseven Conti if you still want transdermal estrogen, you will get the progesterone in the patch that way too.