Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Postmenopausal and hypothyroidism  (Read 1270 times)

KrazyRhi

• First Flush
Postmenopausal and hypothyroidism
« on: June 08, 2022, 01:53:52 PM »

Hi Ladies,
I'm new to the forum and a bit lost ATM to be honest! I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some advice and thank you for taking the time to look at my post . Basically I'm 55 yrs old, postmenopausal and I have hypothyroidism too (MS aswell). Currently on Levothyroxine  75mcg daily and HRT,oestrogel and utrogestan.Having real problems with off the scale anxiety in addition to all the other things that come with the menopause.GP said my TSH is in the acceptable level range but I feel as though the HRT and thyroid medication are not working together as they should! Desperate for any help any of you lovely people can give me 🤔 Thanks
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 02:05:21 PM by KrazyRhi »

ATB

Re: Postmenopausal and hypothyroidism
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 02:59:13 PM »

Hello :) I am also hypothyroid and on evorel patches, Utrogestan and Androfemme, the testosterone cream. I take NDT for my thyroid. Our thyroid hormones are definitely impacted by our sex hormones quite a bit so they are impacted when we add in HRT. I found that because progesterone increases our free T4, that during the Utrogestan phase I was feeling more anxiety, night time panics, that kind of thing. I lowered my estrogen and my thyroid medication, I first did a full thyroid panel and that also indicated my Free T4 was way too high. My thyroid meds have had to be decreased by 20%. The NHS only typically test TSH, which is actually not an active thyroid hormone, it’s simply a messenger, notifying the thyroid of how much hormones to make and send out into every cell. When we take medication, we are overriding that message as we are adding in the hormones instead, and the TSH responds by lowering. So it isn’t a good way to monitor the hypothyroid condition. We should be measuring the amount of active hormones in circulation, the Free T3, and free T4. They then need to be in the optimal part of the range, noted in brackets with your result. I have to go private for this type of care, and I use medichecks to do that using their full thyroid panel home kit. Feel free to ask and other questions, there are a few very knowledgeable women here with the same condition that have helped me too.

KrazyRhi

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 03:55:41 PM »

Thank you so much for your post! I know something isn't right and I understand everything you've said and think I need the blood check you've mentioned .My GP is really nice but I've never had anything other than the normal TSH bog standard check and it isn't enough is it !?
If you don't mind can I ask you if you had to take your medichecks blood
 results to your GP so they could adjust your thyroid meds as a result?

ATB

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 04:58:25 PM »

I initially went private to get diagnosed, my TSH wasn’t high enough for the NHS! But all my hormones were extremely low so they did not have a clue. I still pay for thyroid meds this way, privately, as NHS simply won’t accept I’m hypothyroid despite symptoms, test results and the fact I’m symptom free with medication. Anyway, you can try taking the results with the doctor assessment that comes with it to your GP and seeing if they’ll adjust meds- if that’s what’s needed of course- or you can go privately and ask Thyroid UK for a list of doctors who focus on the active thyroid hormone tests.

KrazyRhi

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »

Thank you for that ,the info you have given me is very helpful and it'll hopefully get me some answers going forward .At least I know it's not all in my head ,so to speak and that I'm not crackers!
I hope everything continues to go well for you too .I am grateful for your input .Thank You!

ATB

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »

You are most welcome. Trying to deal with a thyroid condition and menopause is really difficult and most GPs simply don’t understand it. Happy to be of help :)

KrazyRhi

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 07:48:25 AM »

Totally agree with you ! Thank you  :)