Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to HRT and to this site  (Read 1771 times)

discogirl

New to HRT and to this site
« on: June 10, 2022, 08:15:44 AM »

Hi Just wanting some advice.

I've just gone 57yrs, I had my last period, I think in 2017, so I'm post menopause now.

My menopause and even post menopause was okay, some hot flushes few night sweats but nothing severe at all. However over the last year my anxiety and panic attacks rose incredibly and my anxiety was exacerbated further when in February of this year I suddenly developed chronic tinnitus in my right ear.

My GP put me on amitrypline and after a few months thankfully my tinnitus went, however I developed chronic insomnia which obviously made my anxiety worse. I stayed on the amitrypline, but things got so bad over this last week, that I bought some magnesium complex which I take at night. However with my not sleeping and my anxiety  my GP advised me to come off amitrypline (which wasn't helping for my sleep anyway) which I did, and he advised that I try HRT.

I done some digging about on the internet and stuff and I discovered that sometimes women can develop tinnitus post menopausal due to their low estrogen.

My GP has put me on Estradiol patches 25 mcg, one twice a week and utrogestan 100mg to be taken every night;

My question is this though, I've had a look at some research and it seems to indicate that estradiol in post menopausal older women , that estradiol can sometimes cause hearing issues and sometimes tinnitus and I think I even read that it can in some cases cause insomnia.

I haven't started the HRT yet as I only picked them up yesterday, and I wanted to check if anyone else had discovered similar symptoms whilst on HRT, as since I've started taking the magnesium complex (2 days ago and stopping the amitrypline 2 days) I am sleeping a bit better. And I really don't want to start taking the HRT if it brings my tinnitus back and makes the insomnia worse.

Sorry for the long post.

Dotty

Re: New to HRT and to this site
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 08:43:12 AM »

Hello and welcome  :) you’ll find lots of lovely ladies here to help.

HRT should help insomnia , not make it worse. It certainly cured mine.

I’ve not had tinnitus so can’t comment from experience. But from what I’ve read it should help.

Try not to get worried by horror stories x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:58:53 AM »

Morning.  I've had tinnitus for years prior to menopause.  Sometimes I become aware of a ringing/buzzing and wonder how long it's been active B4 I notice  ::)

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Ask away, nowt is TMI ;-) :welcomemm:

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 07:53:29 AM »

I am starting my HRT today so I will keep you informed as to how I get on.

ATB

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »

Hello and welcome.
HRT helped my insomnia, it’s a huge relief to sleep well. Especially when I take Utrogestan, I take it for 12 days of the cycle. I don’t know anything about tinnitus sorry, hopefully others will be along.

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 12:28:03 PM »

Thanks so much ATB;

The tinnitus has gone and I started the HRT today, just to try and help my anxiety and horrendous insomnia, so its good to know that HRT has helped your insomnia.

My GP has put me on estradiol patches 25mcg and progesterone 100mg to start with.

I used to sleep like a baby but no longer so hopefull the HRT will help