Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: HRT after 70  (Read 5594 times)

margherita

Re: HRT after 70
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2022, 06:35:56 PM »

If a woman doesn't want to supplement her body with artificial hormones it doesn't make her more at risk of getting a disease than someone who does.

That's just it though: there is good evidence that not supplementing does indeed put women at increased risk of life threatening conditions such as heart disease (the number one killer of women), osteoporosis and cognitive malfunction.
And given that the majority of women in the UK now take body identical estrogen, it's not clear what you mean by "artificial" hormones...

KarineT

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2022, 07:54:38 PM »

What I mean by 'artificial' is that it's not produced by the body. 'Body identical' means it's similar to what the body used to produce.  Because it not made by the body, it can only be artificial.  I'm sorry to say this but I know a good bunch of post meno women and they don't suffer from heart disease, osteoporosis or dementia.  I think it's the luck of the draw, HRT or not.

pepperminty

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2022, 06:38:35 PM »

What I mean by 'artificial' is that it's not produced by the body. 'Body identical' means it's similar to what the body used to produce.  Because it not made by the body, it can only be artificial.  I'm sorry to say this but I know a good bunch of post meno women and they don't suffer from heart disease, osteoporosis or dementia.  I think it's the luck of the draw, HRT or not.

We are all entitled to our opinions , but could i venture to say that 99% of women do have osteoporosis later in life, who do not take hormones - my NHS nurse who did my dexa scan said as soon as I stop my HRT I will be like the rest of them - meaning not on HRT, with osteoporosis.

Also as soon as we loose our estrogen we are at the same risk as men of having a heart attack.  Believe me that you can't see the risk , I know loads of women and men and have not been able to predict a bone break until a fall or a heart attack until it happens. And dementia rose when HRT  declined . There is the luck of the draw, but I would rather stack my cards up high, with all the " artificial " support I can get.
It is personal choice, being informed  and weighing the risk and benefit.

Best wishes PMXX

Perinowpost

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2022, 08:11:16 PM »

I agree Pepperminty, lack of oestrogen is for life x

Marchlove

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »

Oh Pepperminty, I’m so with you on this!  All the evidence is there.
Testosterone very much comes into the equation.
Who said, “ it’s our hormone too and we have to reclaim it”?
xx

pepperminty

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2022, 06:33:35 AM »

Hi Perinowpost and Marchlove,

Lets face it most medical professionals don't know all about the research and facts, so there is not much hope for the average person being clued up! Most of us here have spent hours trawling the internet and researching.
We used to pop our clogs around 50 to 60 not that long ago. We are living longer due to " artificial" medical intervention. Men died earlier ( as they do not have the protective  estrogen).
Apparently testosterone has anti inflammatory properties too! So that declines also as men get older. As we are living longer due to medical advances it makes sense to me to try to top up what we have lost. We are unfortunately not designed to last after menopause.
Sometimes looking at the elderly - and I have extensive experience with this in both men and women- once the GP takes them off HRT usually around 70 years ( that is if you are lucky to get it that long) the health declines - but the women just keep silent and every one has said to me " my body started to go wrong once I stopped HRT, - but I just put up with it.
If you were to look at me , you would not think I had any symptoms . Women and men do not usually talk about pain, exhaustion, anxiety, vaginal atrophy , wetting themselves, stiffness, to others. We do not know what goes on behind closed doors. We just put up with it and blame it on getting older. 
There are lots of side effects with most medications.
But the interestingly, there are no recorded contraindications with taking trans-dermal estrogen in women without a womb . It is the progesterone component that slightly raises any risk and that is less than drinking , smoking and being over weight.

A positive attitude and good gut health also goes a long way to a happy longer healthier life.

Incidentally the thyriod can cause all the same symptoms of perimenopause too - so ladies look into your T3   as the medical profession can be  a little behind on this generally too - only treating when we are completely out of range and not on symptoms etc

PMxx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]