Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Should I come off Cerazette & go straight on HRT or break first?  (Read 3569 times)

BFGs Girl

• First Flush

Hi

Dr has advised me to stop taking Cerazette & to go on to HRT patches. I’m worried about the bleeding on patches as I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks.

From the point of view of keeping my hormones steady, should I…

Come off Cerazette, break for a month or so & go on Hrt, go straight from one to the other or will it not matter either way??

I am hoping to avoid headaches/sudden issues…

Can anyone help? Thankyou x

CrispyChick

Re: Should I come off Cerazette & go straight on HRT or break first?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 03:17:27 PM »

What age are you??? Are you having symptoms??? Or why does the GP want you to change???

Even if you do change, I'd take your holiday first. Changing hormones causes all sorts of volatility. X

BFGs Girl

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 04:58:18 PM »

Thankyou…I’m 53…I was told I needed to come off Cerazette & I have actually been off it a week but I started having headaches & I wasn’t sure whether to go straight on hrt or to leave it til I’m back off hols…I’m worried about bleeding etc xx

Bungo

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 05:19:49 PM »

Have the same dilemma ahead of me. Planned on stopping cerazette the same day I start hrt. My logic was if I'm going to feel crap, with settling in issues,. prefer to get all out the way at once rather than spread out. But I don't know anyone who has done this so maybe not the right approach. Whatever you decide, will you update here .

BFGs Girl

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 02:30:31 AM »

I haven’t made a change yet but I’m hoping to soon & will swap over rather than break, I think.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 08:15:24 AM »

Have you been advised to go onto sequi or conti patches? Either way you may well get some sort of bleed - sporadic spotting etc if on conti, and a regular bleed if on sequi. Thing is if you've been on Cerazette then you won't know where in menopause you are so changing to HRT patches may well allow your natural hormones to take over.

Have you thought of having a Mirena coil which may well minimise the amount of bleeding as it supplies continuous progestogen to the womb?

Either way I would wait until after you holiday as advised!

Also to keep hormones steady better to go straight to a new regime rather than stop before starting HRT , I would say. Not sure what will happen if you restart....

Hurdity x

Bungo

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 01:12:11 PM »

I bit the bullet 3 weeks ago and started continuous hrt and quit cerazette the day before( late perimenopausal so my GP was ok to prescribe continuous) .  So far so good, some light spotting occasionally when I wipe but all good so far. Curious if I'll get a period ( I've read that whether continuous or sequential, your body will still have periods if you're meant to have one)

joziel

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »

It's best to switch immediately so your body isn't getting used to too many fluctuations.

You can take Cerazette at the same time as HRT by the way, if you need it for birth control. I take it to suppress endo alongside HRT. But I'm 44yo. I think you're supposed to come off the mini pill by 55?? So you could take it probably a couple more years alongside HRT if you wanted to.