Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New HRT user  (Read 1224 times)

Hot Flash

New HRT user
« on: May 31, 2022, 06:37:26 PM »

Hi everyone. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I have just stuck on my very first HRT patch after several weeks, due to waiting on GP phone call, nurse visit and the prescribed HRT (Femseven Conti 50 mcg) becoming only available to me today at the chemist.

I’ve had severe hot flushes since January, waking every single hour just before they happen. Aching bones and muscles too. I’m 53.

It’s been difficult for me to get treatment because I had an ablation many many years ago, so I have no idea when or if my period stopped.

I am hopeful that these patches will help but also a little scared at all the side effects everyone has mentioned. I’m not sure how I will cope with those on top of how bad I already feel.

Looking for more information on what to expect from these patches and if they helped more of you than not. Xx
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:53:51 PM by Hot Flash »

Taz2

Re: New HRT user
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 08:13:21 PM »

Hi Hot Flash. Welcome to this fab forum where you will find lots of understanding and friendship

I started Evorel at 53 too and it changed my life around. I had hot sweats every twenty minutes day and night which is what drove me to try HRT. They worked within forty eight hours amazingly and no more hot sweats  :)

Some women do find the Norethisterone in Evorel gives them PMT type symptoms but this is by no means certain. Any conti HRT can give some bleeding during the first six months but, again, not everyone experiences this. The important thing is to try any HRT for at least three months to allow your body to get used to it and for any side effects to disappear.

Fifteen years later I'm still on Evorel but oestrogen only as I had a hysterectomy so no longer need progesterone to protect the womb.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 09:32:56 PM »

:welcomemm:
You get a very biased view on here. Most women are fine with it and carry on with their lives, those that have problems come on here. Don't worry, it's far more likely you will be fine (and if you're not there are other options to try).

Hot Flash

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 08:25:51 AM »

The waking up every hour drove me to try it too. I honestly don’t know how I’ve managed to get through these months with very little sleep.

I’m a little confused about the type of HRT I’m on. I watched the Davina McCall programme after the nurse suggesting it. I’m not sure if it’s the body identical one? I think that was the term she used.

I hope I get rid of these flushes as quickly as you did Taz. Thank you to both of you for your replies xx

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:01:54 PM »

You are on body identical estrogen but synthetic progesterone with the Evorel Conti. However, I do think much fuss has been made over avoiding synthetic progesterones and we don't really have much evidence to support that and often a synthetic one suits people better.

If it works for you, stick with it. If you want to change you'd have an estrogen-only 50 patch and utrogestan nightly (body identical progesterone).

By the way, even though I have side effects with the HRT which are a little bit of a nightmare at the moment (palpitations, heart beating hard, feeling blood throbbing and high blood pressure in the evenings!) - I don't regret for one second starting it. It has fixed my night sweats, libido, brain fog, ability to concentrate and think and remember, migraines (totally gone), dry skin, dry mouth, vaginal dryness and discomfort, constipation and flatulence..... Just got to figure out the last bit now. I still have a little joint pain but it's much better and I think that can take longer than everything else to improve. I have been on HRT 10wks.

Hot Flash

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 08:15:43 PM »

You are on body identical estrogen but synthetic progesterone with the Evorel Conti. However, I do think much fuss has been made over avoiding synthetic progesterones and we don't really have much evidence to support that and often a synthetic one suits people better.

If it works for you, stick with it. If you want to change you'd have an estrogen-only 50 patch and utrogestan nightly (body identical progesterone).

By the way, even though I have side effects with the HRT which are a little bit of a nightmare at the moment (palpitations, heart beating hard, feeling blood throbbing and high blood pressure in the evenings!) - I don't regret for one second starting it. It has fixed my night sweats, libido, brain fog, ability to concentrate and think and remember, migraines (totally gone), dry skin, dry mouth, vaginal dryness and discomfort, constipation and flatulence..... Just got to figure out the last bit now. I still have a little joint pain but it's much better and I think that can take longer than everything else to improve. I have been on HRT 10wks.

Is FemSeven Conti and Evorel Conti the same? Am I on the wrong page? Sorry if I am as I’m finding it a bit difficult to navigate the forum lol.

I do worry about being on the synthetic progesterone as I had a terrible time with the mirena coil but I will give it time and see how I get on. If I can get rid of the night sweats and the bone pain, I will be very happy xx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 08:51:54 PM »

The progesterone in FemSeven is not Norethisterone so if Evorel doesn't suit you then FemSeven might.  :)

joziel

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »

Sorry, I thought you were on Evorel Conti. Both Evorel Conti and FEmseven Conti have synthetic progesterones, just different ones. Neither better or worse.

We don't yet have a combined patch which can give body identical progesterone. For some reason it is a hard ingredient to put in a patch, and get skin to absorb, so we are stuck taking that one orally. I hope at some point science and investment in womens health catches up and we can just stick a patch with body identical progesterone/estrogen in it, on us... but we're not there yet.

Hot Flash

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 08:54:08 AM »

Hopefully soon xx