Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed Fibroid  (Read 1163 times)

Oliversut01

Newly diagnosed Fibroid
« on: June 01, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone has experience of this? Had some ongoing digestive, bladder and tummy bloating issues and finally been diagnosed with a fibroid. Have been on Evorel 100 for some time, along with Utrogestan.  I have been informed that the Oestrogen will make this worse but it helps me in other ways, I am 57 and started menopause at 51. Does anyone have fibroids but stayed on HRT, don't want it to get any worse so thinking of reducing the dose.
Any info. would be much appreciated  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newly diagnosed Fibroid
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 11:42:48 AM »

I can't help, mayB put 'fibroid' into the search box to see if threads pop up?  make notes ;-)

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »

Hi yes, had fibroids since many years before menopause, still there on last scan a year ago & I've been on HRT since a few years postmenopause, but my fibroids are small & my oestrogen dose has mostly been 50mcg or lower.  If large they can cause symptoms through pressure on other organs.  Did they tell you how big yours is & whether they think it's the cause of any of your symptoms?  They are common & often don't cause probs, but as you've been advised HRT can cause them to increase in size.  If you're worried, I'd talk to a gynae or knowledgeable GP to help you decide whether to reduce your oestrogen.
Wx

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 04:04:05 PM »

My fibroid grew quite large, I suspect the hrt did contribute but I can't be absolutely sure. I did end up having a hysterectomy last summer because of it.

Jett

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »

I have was diagnosed with fibroids seven years ago and at the time told by the gynaecologist that anything oestrogen made them grow.  As a result I went the natural route and avoided HRT.

At the end of last year when menopausal symptoms got so bad I asked my GP about HRT, she asked gynae at the hospital and the response was HRT should be ok, it makes them grow in some people but others are totally fine, depends on the individual.

I decided to try HRT as I was in a really bad way.  I took the oestrogen only part of the cyclical HRT but after a week was in pain with aggravated fibroids and bleeding.  So I stopped.

I persevered without HRT again until the end of January then asked to try the conti patch so I would be getting both oestrogen and progesterone- this was better, my fibroids were not aggravated that I could feel and I felt much better for 4 months.  Then I bled for 3 weeks and not sure if that was fibroids or something else that caused it.

I am a bit ropey just now but a bit better than last few weeks as the bleed has stopped.  I paid for a consultation with the Newson clinic and the GP said there was no definitive evidence HRT made fibroids grow but it did in some people.  The GP That I spoke to’s line was - for the sake of being able to have a better quality of life with HRT it would be better to get the fibroids dealt with if they gave bother than to not take the HRT.

It’s a bit scary to think of the fibroids growing but before the HRT I wasn’t sleeping, had total brain fog, anxiety, panic attacks, heavy legs preventing exercise, VA, itchy skin and was an absolute emotional wreck.  I am not perfect just now, but the thought of going back to that scares me more than having to get the fibroids dealt with!

If you can get an ultrasound and dimensions of your fibroid it will help you figure out what effect any changes to dose has.  The main way I can tell mine are playing up are pressure on my bladder and a pain like someone is tying a knot and pulling it right in my uterus. Also my belly swells a bit.

Let us know how you get on, good luck xxx