Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen blood test  (Read 783 times)

Clarella

Oestrogen blood test
« on: June 01, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »

Hi,

I’m on oestrodot 50 and sequential utrogestan.

At my last review, not long after I had covid which I think affected hormones, she suggested testing oestrogen and thyroid (I’m on thyroxine.) thyroid had been a little too high so I dropped and both were tested this week.

Oestrogen was 133 (during a period which was v late.)  it was marked as borderline (low?)  I don’t understand the ranges or the point of the test tbh.

I’ve been feeling awful with many peri symptoms  (tsh was 0.2/ t4 19 so I don’t think it’s that though I’m suprised it’s still on the high side. Tsh was 0.2 when I was on more thyroxine!)

How likely is it that oestrogen is much higher at a different point in my cycle? Are they likely to allow me to go higher and by how much?

joziel

Re: Oestrogen blood test
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:38:41 PM »

Ideally you want your estrogen to be at least 250nmol for bone health and protection. So for sure, you will be able to increase that and it's not surprising if you are experiencing symptoms at the moment.

I just had mine tested and it was 233nmol on a 50 patch. I've just increased to a 75.

Clarella

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 03:42:52 PM »

Ok thanks. Does it make a difference what point in the cycle? It was day 3 of my period.

Makes me think I should go to 100 (though 75 first obviously.)

I actually put an extra half a 25 on after the blood test I’m feeling so bad. Review on Monday.

(Periods are barely there.)

joziel

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 06:45:16 PM »

It's hard to tell during peri. Your own ovaries could be sometimes contributing something or they could not. The amount the patches give will remain the same but you don't want big variation anyway in estrogen levels, because it's that which causes symptoms. So adding in more estrogen will only mean that if your own ovaries contribute anything, there will be less of a difference in the amount between when they are and when they're not. If that makes sense.

If your periods are barely there, and if you've been on sequential HRT for about a year at least, you could ask your doctor about trying continuous HRT. That just means taking the progesterone every day at 100mg - instead of for 2 weeks of the month at 200. That way, you shouldn't bleed at all. There's no harm to trying it and the only thing that would happen if it's too early for you, is some break-through bleeding so you would then go back to sequential for a while longer. (I'm peri and 44yo but I am on continuous because I have a history of mild endo and continuous progesterone is recommended for endo sufferers, to suppress any endo throughout the whole month.) Continuous actually gives better protection of the uterus than sequential.

Definitely from my own experience recently, increase gradually - it can't hurt to increase gradually and it might really help. It's a v good idea to do half a 25 if you have some of those patches, for a few weeks, before 75. I just went right from 50 to 75 and am left wondering if some of my estrogen-related side effects (palpitations, throbbing etc) might have not happened if I'd done this more gradually. It's one of the good things about the gel, that you can estimate half a squirt and that sort of thing - it's harder to do that with the patches especially if you don't have access to more than 50 patches for eg.

Clarella

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 07:58:28 AM »

Thank you this is really useful. Sorry you have endo but I’m glad it’s helping. I’m 45.

Sorry - many questions.

Gp mentioned continuous a while ago but I think we wanted to see if things settle.

I was still slightly feeding my youngest child but the last few months it’s been barely anything, before bed. We stopped 3 weeks ago. One side had dried up a while ago so I don’t think that will have much impact. (If anything symptoms got worse after I night weaned a year ago.)

Covid could have been an issue and my hormones could still be recovering from the impact of that. I could also be impacted by mild hyperthyroidism.

I’m using utrogestan vaginally. Could I still use it that way continuously? Though orally would be less as would be 100 not 200.

I wondered about the continuous regime where you don’t take for 4-5 days per month and if that would be suitable (not sure why some do that)?

Someone who’s a meno counsellor had mentioned that continuous could result in a “lot of bleeding.” When I first started 6 months ago my body initially missed a period and then it was heavy for me (only 5 days in reality!) but in truth I feel it doesn’t want to bleed! I’ve never had bad or heavy periods.

I suppose I may not be absorbing except that some symptoms are definitely better than they were.

I definitely have a clear cycle of my own still as I have about 5 days a month where I feel marginally better!

Clarella

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 08:56:02 AM »

I suppose I wonder if continuous helps with the ups and downs a bit more; more stability.

joziel

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 09:37:36 AM »

You can use utrogestan vaginally continuously yes. Some doctors advise that you can halve the dose of utrogestan if using vaginally, so since the usual oral continuous dose is 100mg every night, they say to use 100mg every other night (since it doesn't come in smaller doses).

However, many women, when they use it every other night like this, do still have breakthrough bleeding and so it's not enough progesterone for them. Personally, I'd want to use it every night because I'd want to be sure it is doing its job - and we don't have *loads* of research when it comes to using it vaginally yet. (I take mine orally, so can't comment on all this.)

The continuous regime where you stop it for 4-5 days a month, is outdated. That idea was based on what was done in a study way back when they were coming up with it all. It's just not necessary to have a break like that. All it does, is cause you to bleed. And there's no need for that. Just like if you are on a progesterone-only pill, you take it continuously.

Continuous would only result in 'a lot of bleeding' if it's too early for you to move to that and the HRT is kind of fighting your own body and what it wants to keep doing. Signs that you can try a switch are that you've been on sequential for a year. That you are not bleeding or bleeding very lightly on sequential. Or you can just try it and see. Dr Louise Newson recommends trying continuous after a year on sequential because it gives better protection of the uterus to have continuous progesterone.

Clarella

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »

Thank you, this is really helpful.

I think if I’m going to go up a level on oestrogen it might be reasonable to continue on sequential for the time being?? As periods/ bleeding could get heavier? My ovaries *may* wake a little due to not breastfeeding and I’ve actually only been on hrt for 6 months.

I think…! Not really sure!

Gp seems knowledgeable as suggested vaginally and also knew it was ok to use when Breastfeeding.