Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Artificial Lawns - for or against  (Read 4844 times)

Limpy

Re: Artificial Lawns - for or against
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »

We have an artificial lawn and have done for the last 13 years or so.  It's great for the dogs as they don't dig or get covered in mud which they then bring in the house.
I'll dispel the myth that they don't allow rain to run off - they do.  We've never had flooding issues, it has sand, soil & hardcore underneath, so plenty of drainage. In the winter months it always looks green, so brightens the garden up.  Another myth - you don't have to hoover it!  I just sweep up any fallen leaves, same as any lawn.  You can have a service dressing, where they fluff up the pile and add further sand to make it look fresher but we've not done that.
Periodically during the summer, I spray it with a disinfectant/water solution to dilute the doggy smells, but that's the only maintenance needed.
Each to their own, but I enjoy our artificial lawn and it suits my style of garden where I like everything to look neat!

It's good to hear from somebody who has actually has this type of lawn.
What's the expression - ah got it - "you live and learn".

Aprilflower

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2022, 01:14:59 PM »

We are about to move into a new build,this summer.  Have decided not to have a lawn, artificial or otherwise, and will have planted areas and path's.  Unless you have children lawns are a bit of a waste of space.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2022, 07:53:35 PM »

I wasn't aware that artificial lawns allowed water to drain .... I rather thought that they were solid right through.   ::)

Jellyb

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2022, 03:46:39 PM »

CLKD
Yep, they should have hardcore, then soil, then sand, then a weed membrane and the artificial lawn on top.  The artificial lawns are not completely solid, they have fine holes to enable drainage.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2022, 07:33:19 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 2 [3]