Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Loss of sex drive  (Read 1316 times)

Weeloz

Loss of sex drive
« on: June 08, 2022, 10:07:01 PM »

Hi does anyone have advice on how to get my sex drive back . I have been on hrt evorel Conti patches since Dec and it has made no difference . It's really getting me down 

Taz2

Re: Loss of sex drive
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 11:04:01 PM »

This is a tricky one. It's testosterone which boosts your sex drive and orgasmic response not just HRT alone although sex drive can return if we're less exhausted due to sleeping better if hrt has alleviated night sweats. Some GPs will prescribe it although it's not licensed for use in women sadly. Your better bet may be referral to a menopause clinic or, failing that, a private consultation. It's quite devastating when this first happens so I understand how you feel.  I also found that the continuous progesterone definitely dampened mine down too. I hope your partner is understanding.

Taz x  :hug:

ATB

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 06:47:00 AM »

Yes testosterone would most likely help you. Women also experience a decrease in this hormone during menopause. It is prescribed on the NHS for women but only for low libido, so your GP may help you. Testosterone also impacts brain function, energy, muscle building etc etc so that’s why privately they prescribe it for any symptoms that they think testosterone is known to contribute to. I get mine privately.

Starshell

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 07:17:39 AM »

I feel exactly the same Weeloz, it’s causing issues in my marriage of 25 years
 I try to get myself in the mood but just can’t, I have told my husband to find someone else as sex seems very important to him and he is getting frustrated and annoyed with me
To give him some credit he was very upset by my suggestion and said it’s me he wants to make love with not anyone else. I plucked up the courage to speak with my GP and she refused to prescribe testosterone, but changed my tablet form of HRT to Oestrogel and progesterone tablets and said that might help. Anyway Oestrogel is not in stock so will have to ask for the tablets again. Just feel very fed up about it all and can totally understand and empathise xx

Nas

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »

Yes in the same boat.
I’ve got an appointment today and am going to ask for testosterone ( amongst other things!)

It’s a very challenging time of  life and a real test of how strong relationships really are!

Best of luck  🤞🌸

ATB

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 07:54:53 AM »

Thought this page of the BMS might be helpful to women so you know what the guidelines are for prescribing testosterone for women currently- I think they’ll change in the coming years. Even now, long term low libido *is* a reason to prescribe on NHS and if they won’t do this right away then they should be following the guidelines to investigate other reasons for low libido and if they don’t resolve it, then they absolutely should be prescribing testosterone. It’s frustrating they think total testosterone levels are what we should be watching when they don’t matter if the freely available testosterone is low.

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/tools-for-clinicians/testosterone-replacement-in-menopause/

Weeloz

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 09:46:33 AM »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies . I will speak to my gp it's just impossible just now to get an appointment. Starshell I sympathise as I am exactly the same as you .sex is so important to my husband too and we have been together 36years . I have said the same to him about getting someone else as I feel so bad for him too.

ATB

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 09:57:53 AM »

Gosh ladies, I do understand how important this is and it’s not ok that doctors are withholding something from women that they are giving to men for the same reason. But please don’t go telling your husbands to find sex elsewhere, a marriage is a partnership through sickness and health and I don’t think any of us would ditch our husbands because they were ill and unable to have sex. Sex is just as important to women and it’s about time the NHS saw it that way. There are many illnesses that impact sex and in a partnership you have to be understanding of that, intimacy can be found in other ways in the meantime. Write to your GP surgery and send them some of the info from the BMS. If they won’t give you testosterone they still have to address low libido with you. They should not be ignoring a genuine health issue.

Sheri

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 11:50:32 AM »

I was also hoping HRT would help my low yo non existent libido but nothing yet. If anything it feels worse since starting HRT.
I'm lucky that my hubby doesn't suspect anything as if I'm not in the mood, he puts it down to my other illnesses & leaves me alone but i feel so guilty.
We went from being very active in the bed dept to basically nothing.
Does anyone find though that because our sex life has nosedived, so has the cuddles & general warmth to each other?
There's still love there & no chance of affairs on either side but the connection has gone.

joziel

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 02:10:39 PM »

It's testosterone that helps :)

I got sexy dreams(!) and all kinds of things after starting testosterone....!!!

Sheri

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 03:16:36 PM »

Ooh gimme some 😎

Weeloz

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 10:49:58 PM »

Thank you everyone,I'm glad I'm not alone