Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Migraines and hrt  (Read 880 times)

Sarahjaynexo

Migraines and hrt
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:07:26 PM »

I've switched from evorel 50 sequi to oestrogel (4 pumps) as my GP thinks my oestrogen was low (headaches, achey joints, tiredness, low mood etc) but after 5 days I've had nothing but headaches, taken triptans to try and avoid a full blown migraine. Is oestrogel causing this or low oestrogen? I've been taking 3 pumps not 4 as suggested as I think sequi was equivalent to 2 pumps

Wondering if I'd gave been better on patches? Dreading starting my utrogestan, waiting for a mirena to be fitted

VanillaLover

Re: Migraines and hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:08:13 AM »

Hi, I got dreadful headaches when I started HRT. A 50 patch to 4 pumps is a big jump in the oestrogen. Mine calmed down after a couple of weeks.

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 07:10:15 AM »

Sorry just read it properly and you are taking 3 pumps not 4! Silly me. I still imagine it’s the extra oestrogen in your system that’s causing the headaches. Stick it out for a while if you can!

VanillaLover

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 07:11:52 AM »

What is it you’re worried about wrt the utrogestan by the way?

Sarahjaynexo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 08:54:35 PM »

Wasn't sure if oestrogel was too high or if its just my system getting used to the change from patches to gel. Sticking to 3 pumps until my headaches ease, woke up with one today and can't shift it.

I remember having headaches with utrogestan when I tried it back last year (patch shortage) just hope I'm on the kindest hrt treatment as I can't seem to think straight with all these headaches. Spent the day inside as I couldn't face the sun x

Erika28

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 01:07:41 PM »

Studies strongly suggest migraines are due to a drop in estrogen. Plenty of evidence to support this and none to support that high E causes migraines.

Headache. 48():S124–S130, NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2008
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2008.01310.x
"Additional clinical evidence supports the role of estrogen withdrawal as a trigger for migraine. The fall in estrogen occurs with several biological conditions and is repeatedly shown to be associated with increased risk of migraine:3
• Immediately before menstruation starts when estrogen levels drop
• During the normal menstrual cycle when estrogen levels are low
• During the pill-free week in women using the combined oral contraceptive pill when estrogen is withdrawn
• After 21 days of high concentrations in women using hormone-replacement therapy
• In hysterectomized women with bilateral oophorectomies
• After birth when estrogen concentrations decline dramatically"

Neurology. 2006 Dec 26;67(12):2154-8.
"there was a significantly higher number of migraine attacks during the late luteal/early follicular phase of falling estrogen and lower number of attacks during rising phases of estrogen."
"These findings confirm a relationship between migraine and changing levels of estrogen, supporting the hypothesis of perimenstrual but not postovulatory estrogen "withdrawal" migraine. In addition, rising levels of estrogen appear to offer some protection against migraine."

Neurology. 1972 Apr;22(4):355-65.
“This consistent pattern of delayed migraine observed in the estradiol—treated cycles appears to support the hypothesis that the withdrawal of estradiol plays a significant role in the precipitation of menstrual migraine.”
“Plasma estradiol determinations performed daily in both groups of women during the estradiol-treated period showed that migraine vas closely related to the phase of estradiol withdrawal, it is concluded that falling levels of estradiol rather than of progesterone play a significant role in the precipitation of menstrual migraine.”

MENSTRUAL MIGRAINE: THE ROLE OF OESTROGEN, DR. ANNE MACGREGOR MD, THESIS UNIVERSITY OF LONDON 2008
“Further research identified an inverse relationship between oestrogen and migraine incidence. The follicular phase oestrogen rise was associated with reduced risk of migraine; late luteal oestrogen 'withdrawal' at menstruation was associated with increased risk of migraine. In order to counteract the luteal phase oestrogen drop and prevent menstrual attacks, oestrogen supplements were used from the luteal phase oestrogen peak (day -6) through to the early follicular rise of endogenous oestrogen (day +2). Identification of ovulation using a fertility monitor enabled prediction of menstruation and accurate timing of oestrogen supplements, despite a wide inter and intra-individual range in cycle length. The results showed that use of oestrogen supplements was associated with a significant reduction in migraine days compared to placebo. However, the benefits were offset by delayed oestrogen 'withdraw al' migraine. In women with migraine in the pill-free interval of combined hormonal contraceptives, there was a trend for oestrogen supplements to prevent 'menstrual' attacks, although the dose used was suboptimal. These findings support the hypotheses that menstrual migraine is a discrete clinical entity and is associated with oestrogen 'withdraw al'. Further, oestrogen 'withdraw al' migraine can be independent of menstruation and independent of ovulation. Oestrogen 'withdraw al' migraine can be prevented with oestrogen supplements, although the optimal regime has yet to be established”

Adv Neurol. 1994;64:77-81.
“Decreasing estrogen levels appear to precipitate migraine. Estradiol and progesterone therapy for menstrual migraine maintains high estrogen levels during the menstrual epoch, which generally prevents migraine. High but stable estrogen levels prevent migraine.”

Postgraduate Medicine, 101:5, 67-77, DOI: 10.3810/pgm.1997.05.236
“In many women, migraine headaches are clearly linked to estrogen levels: the incidence rises at the menarche; attacks may be precipitated by falling estrogen levels before menses; and symptoms usually improve during pregnancy when there are noncyclic high levels of estrogen. Decreased estrogen production in the perimenopausal phase may trigger an exacerbation of migraine. However, after menopause when estrogen levels are noncyclic and low, there may be an improvement in migraine. The falling estradiol level rather than the absolute level provides the trigger for menstruation-associated migraine.”
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 01:12:34 PM by Erika28 »