Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anyone using Utro on conti?  (Read 710 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Anyone using Utro on conti?
« on: May 28, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »

Hi all,

I’m on day 8 of Utro and already dreading the withdrawal as it plays havoc with my thyroid medication uptake. I was planning on using Utro for 12 days (200mg vaginally) & then stopping as part of a 6 week cycle. I’m wondering if using it every other day or say 3 times a week on a conti regime might be better in it saves me having to go through the hormonal roller coaster….not sure whether to skip tonight & try it…..

Polpringle

Re: Anyone using Utro on conti?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:35:37 PM »

I used it Conti because the roller coaster of hormones was really awful, I went over a year without a bleed and steady mood but then I had my booster vaccine on Dec and my mood has gone crazy and regular bleeds, I’ve just had to have a scan and biopsy  to check all is well. I’m having to go back on cyclical for a while and slightly dreading it.
I’m late Peri and knew breakthrough bleeds were possible anyhow

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 08:28:54 PM »

Sorry to hear that Polpringle & I hope either the cyclical isn’t too bad or you are able to get back onto conti soon. Can i ask what dosage of Utro you were on for conti & if you took it every day etc?

Polpringle

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 08:32:53 PM »

🤞🏻
I took 100 every day

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 07:08:38 AM »

Thank you Polpringle, I’ve also seen someone else uses 100mg every other day so I guess it’s just based on trial & error and getting scans to ensure the endometrium doesn’t get too thick.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 07:37:32 AM »

Taking 100 mg alternate days is very much off-licence - and depends on your oestrogen dose. A guide to how your uterus lining reacts would be how you bleed on cyclical HRT. If minimal bleed then it might work, if heavy then likely you build  lining and 100 mg would likely be insufficient. Some private docs do prescribe this (100 mg alt days) -  and the rationale is based on some small studies - but is by no means universal. As you say regular scans would be needed to check on the lining and these would not be given on NHS unfortunately - exceptionally at NHS menopause clinics ( eg Panay) for women who for various reasons cannot take the standard treatments eg extremely progesterone intolerant

Hurdity x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 08:44:51 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, it’s 200mg Utro vaginally that I use cyclical currently and the bleed I get isn’t heavy. I think I’ll try 200mg every other day for a while and then get a scan. Do you know how long I should trial this before getting a scan? It may be cyclical is best if it feels like my body needs a straight break from the progesterone….I’ve experimented with both approaches before and the withdrawal from the cyclical routine plays havoc with my thyroid. However, I did feel the progesterone building up over time with the conti so it’s a case of which is more tolerable as I fully understand side effects for me are inevitable and better that not being on HRT. I’ve recently discovered I’ve been vastly under medicated for my thyroid and this has been increased significantly and I’m already starting to feel more human so I may fair better on the conti this time round as symptoms I thought were menopause/progesterone intolerance (solely) were mostly under active thyroid.