Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Taken off hrt because of bleeding  (Read 2261 times)

nigela

Taken off hrt because of bleeding
« on: May 27, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »

So upset. I started hrt with oestrogel and utrogesten tablet in September been ok so felt better apart from a bit of weight gain and sore boobs. I was given it 12 years post meno due to osteoporosis diagnosis. However nearly 9 months in I started bleeding. I had missed 2 utrogesten tablets  a week apart . However bleeding is heavier 2 weeks in with clots now. Like a proper period with cramps. I rang GP today but she’s just said to stop it altogether and speak to her in 6 weeks. I told her I tried the utrogesten vaginally for 3 days as ladies on here suggested and bleeding did stop then I took it orally again and it began again and now much heavier. I did say that I thought with years of coeliac and lactose intolerance that I did wonder if I absorb tablets. So she says the utrogesten won’t absorb vaginally as it’s designed to be swallowed only. I told her it is a soft gel capsule. She won’t hear  of it. I may be able to try combo patch but non available in our area she says at the moment! However the progesterone in Those is not body identical so not as safe . So do not like the thought of stopping altogether but she wi t give me another prescription now. Worried me and says it may be cancer of womb! But not offered a scan. So whether I’d get one in 6 weeks I don’t know! Just left wondering.

Flossieteacake

Re: Taken off hrt because of bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:50:51 AM »

So upset. I started hrt with oestrogel and utrogesten tablet in September been ok so felt better apart from a bit of weight gain and sore boobs. I was given it 12 years post meno due to osteoporosis diagnosis. However nearly 9 months in I started bleeding. I had missed 2 utrogesten tablets  a week apart . However bleeding is heavier 2 weeks in with clots now. Like a proper period with cramps. I rang GP today but she’s just said to stop it altogether and speak to her in 6 weeks. I told her I tried the utrogesten vaginally for 3 days as ladies on here suggested and bleeding did stop then I took it orally again and it began again and now much heavier. I did say that I thought with years of coeliac and lactose intolerance that I did wonder if I absorb tablets. So she says the utrogesten won’t absorb vaginally as it’s designed to be swallowed only. I told her it is a soft gel capsule. She won’t hear  of it. I may be able to try combo patch but non available in our area she says at the moment! However the progesterone in Those is not body identical so not as safe . So do not like the thought of stopping altogether but she wi t give me another prescription now. Worried me and says it may be cancer of womb! But not offered a scan. So whether I’d get one in 6 weeks I don’t know! Just left wondering.

Hello nigela. I am appalled by your GP! To just say it may be cancer like that is very scary for you. I have had a similar experience. When I was put on HRT the GP did not know I needed progesterone. Another GP spoke to me and when she realised I was not on it, she rang back to say she is concerned I have cancer. I remember I went cold with shock. Talk about poor bedside manner! If your GP is thinking that then they should send you for a scan.

Many women take utrogestan vaginally. I am no expert but to me it seems you would be better continuing it vaginally as you did not get the bleeding. It sounds like you would be better off asking to be referred to a menopause clinic as your GP does not understand HRT. Is there another GP at the practice you could talk to in the meantime?

nigela

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »

Hi no we don’t have a menopause clinic. I’m so worried now too with her saying that. 6 weeks until she will speak to me again seems a long time.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »

Hi no we don’t have a menopause clinic. I’m so worried now too with her saying that. 6 weeks until she will speak to me again seems a long time.

You could have a phone appointment the nearest menopause clinic. I can understand why you are worried.

nigela

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

Do you need to be referred though?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 12:26:02 PM »

Do you need to be referred though?

You do if it is an NHS one. It is very straightforward. The GP just sends them an email. The GP can request you want a phone appointment too.

Grheliz1

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »

Utrogestan, either vaginally or orally, never worked for me and I ended up having a Mirena coil, which stopped my bleeding and polyps (they thought I might have the nastier form of endometrial hyperplasia, which can lead to cancer, but they now think I didn't or, if I was going that way, the Mirena headed it off). Would this be a possibility for you?

nigela

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »

Oh right not sure. I’m 61 this year too not sure if they’d  consider  this . I Did have endometriosis and a fibroid.

Nas

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 07:29:35 PM »

Any bleeding 12 months after your last period, needs investigating under the 2 week pathway. Not to refer you for a scan is both negligent  and extremely poor practice.

On Monday, you need to ring and demand that a scan  referral be made.

The chances are, that the progesterone needs adjusting. Either a higher dose or a synthetic type.

Options usually include, either 200 utrogestan, norethisterone, provera or a coil .

Hope you get sorted soon, as bleeding is miserable xx

nigela

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 07:40:38 PM »

Thank you. Yes I was shocked with the stop hrt and I’ll telephone you in 6 weeks! It was no help at all. I got back in touch with the surgery and been told one of them will ring me next Wednesday!

Nas

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 08:07:50 PM »

I would ring the surgery at 8 am Monday and ask to speak to the practice manager! What a disgraceful way to treat a person!

You need a referral ASAP. Scan should be done within 2 weeks. Quote NICE guidelines.

You can take the utrogestan vaginally if it stops the bleeding. Gp doesn’t need to know. But you should be scanned and you don’t have to come off Hrt either, as that can make the body go into shock. Stupid GP!!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »

I agree with Nas, you should be referred under the 2 week pathway. It doesn't sound as though it's cancer but it's best to be sure. Can't quite believe she says it might be cancer but doesn't think it should be investigated. They'll tell you how thick your lining is, it could have been building up.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 10:26:22 PM »

Oh right not sure. I’m 61 this year too not sure if they’d  consider  this . I Did have endometriosis and a fibroid.

HRT is known to increase both fibroids and endo so could this be the cause of your bleeding? Was this explained when you began HRT?

Taz  :hug:

ATB

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »

I’m sorry you are receiving such poor care, you must be so worried. As others have said you should be seen much sooner and definitely call Monday and insist. It’s just a terrible way to treat you.

nigela

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 01:20:33 PM »

Thanks folks. Yes I’m a worrier at the best of times! Cannot stop thinking about it. However Wednesday is the earliest one wil  speak  to me. Bet she agrees with the other and says to stop! Yes they warned me about it marking things grow, So they will probably say told you do. I needed it for osteoporosis though.