Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Evorel Sequi and headaches and migraines  (Read 799 times)

Nicodemus

Evorel Sequi and headaches and migraines
« on: May 24, 2022, 08:56:22 AM »

Hi, am new here.

I started Evorel Sequi on 12/5 so am still on the oestrogen only patches, due to switch to conti in a couple of days. I'm also currently on Cerazette and have been for about 18 months, prior to that was on Noriday for several years. I've had menstrual migraines for at least 17 years and in the last 18 months or so they have got more frequent. GP thinks/hopes that HRT will sort them out eventually.

Since I started the Evorel I have had a couple of quite bad (day long) headaches and one migraine. It could be coincidence but each one has happened the day after I change my patch. From what I have read it seems that people tend to get headaches in the "conti" phase (i.e. progesterone and oestrogen) but just wondered if anyone has experienced them in the oestrogen phase?

VanillaLover

Re: Evorel Sequi and headaches and migraines
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 10:26:41 AM »

Hi, I had horrendous daily headaches when I started Evorel 50. They did calm down after a couple of weeks. I also had a couple of aura migraines which is unusual (usually have non aura). They did settle down.

I have to say that I have been on the patches (and utrogestan) for 8 months or so and I haven’t had any change in migraines. They are definitely hormonal and I think my own cycle is still strong and the swings are overriding the “stable” amount in the patches. I get them around ovulation and before period. So that corresponds to times when oestrogen is falling sharply which I think is setting them off.

So yes one day I hope the migraines will go when I don’t have a cycle any more. But for now, not much has changed.

Have a look at the thread about migraines going on now, I have found the Cefaly device has helped. Depends on your frequency of migraines etc whether you are suitable though.

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 10:29:37 AM »

I believe that the general medical belief is that non aura migraines caused by oestrogen falling, aura ones caused by oestrogen increasing. Broadly that is…..there are exceptions as always ! In fact probably more exceptions to the rule than people following it, with hormones!

I got my first aura migraines when pregnant for example, when oestrogen super high.

Nicodemus

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 11:50:29 AM »

Ah thanks I feel reassured, hopefully it will settle down in a little while. I will look at the migraines thread. I tried a Cefaly a few months ago but unfortunately it made no difference either as a preventer or reliever so returned it for the refund. I've been referred back to neurology and am on the waiting list for an appointment.

Mine have always been non aura. So my theory is that my oestrogen has been fluctuating or low for a while and that hopefully it will level out with the patches.