Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Cramping with utrogesten  (Read 707 times)

nigela

Cramping with utrogesten
« on: May 19, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »

I started last week to use utrogesten vaginally after I’d been using it orally 100 mg for 8 months with  2 pumps of oestrogel  on skin. However I then had cramping and bleeding, (clear mucus  with blood for a week) I had been ok for months so it seemed strange. I wondered  if being coeliac I’d not been digesting it properly. However I’m now getting bad cramping every morning as I wake up, it does ease a bit during the day. I was told utrogesten is the only safer body identical form of progesterone. Are the combo patches body identical? I’m thinking maybe I need to change? I’m 12 years post meno!  I’ve been given hrt due to recent osteoporosis diagnosis. It does help me sleep better! Plus no hot flushes! GP doesn’t seem to know much! I’ve changed to one pump of oestrogel too last week.

ATB

Re: Cramping with utrogesten
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »

This seems to be quite a common thing, I’ve been on it 8 months and I got cramps with it, less so now but I do get bloating which can feel a bit like cramps with pain in the same area. What made you reduce your estrogen? When I used the search tool I saw lots of posts on Utrogestan and cramping so you could browse through but hopefully others can pop in and give advice as I don’t use it vaginally.

nigela

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 11:46:06 AM »

I reduced the oestrogen as few ladies told me it could be too much oestrogen against progesterone that was maybe causing the lining to thicken and then  then bleed. I didn’t t want to make the endo or fibroid to come back!

ATB

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 12:48:26 PM »

Ah ok. 2 pumps isn’t a lot but I guess that depends on your own levels of estrogen being produced on top of that. I hope you get some other input as I’m not much help!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 05:02:09 PM »

I would see your gp as any post menopausal bleeding should be investigated. You should be sent for a scan which will tell you if your lining has been building up or if there is another cause for the bleeding.
  Utro is the only body identical one but if it doesn't keep your lining thin it's no good for you. More of it gets to the right place if used vaginally or you could be prescribed 200mg. Or perhaps you might be better with something else such as a mirena. I believe (not certain) you should be on 2 pumps to help osteoporosis?

nigela

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 08:26:16 AM »

The bleeding stopped. But I was getting bad cramps taking the utrogesten vaginally  So I decided to take it orally again then after 3 nights the bleeding is back a bit heavier and cramps too. Still just using one pump of oestrogel  instead of two. Not sure what to do. Waiting for gp call but not sure if she will know either. Just hope it’s not the endo or fibroid back.