Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 3852 times)

Gilla999

Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 11:59:32 AM »

I agree with Nicodemus about the "off switch" - this is connected to how Mirtazapine changes the chemistry that controls both appetite and the way your body processes energy (I have researched quite extensively into the subject!). You often see that people who were on the low weight side gain more weight from Mirtazapine and I have wondered to myself if that is because (for example in my case) my whole life I've been able to trust my own appetite signals and remain a low/healthy weight, I never really denied myself - I was able to trust my body chemistry. But now that Mirtazapine has massively impacted the brain signals that control appetite I have no real gauge of when I am hungry or not, and am still relying on my body chemistry which isn't functioning correctly. I am never really "hungry" but also never feel full - it's such a different feeling to how I've felt my whole life.

Can't wait to get off it! Trazodone is equally affective for my sleep and hasn't made me gain weight  :)

Polpringle

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 05:19:23 PM »

Thank you for everyone’s replies. I took the plunge last night and took a quarter of a tablet. Felt like a complete zombie this morning I know it takes a while to settle but I can’t feel like that for my job (dog walker/sitter) it didn’t help me sleep any better (still woke through the night) but did make me feel zonked each time I woke up felt very much like when I was on amatryptiline. I’ll go back to the drawing board

Flossieteacake

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 05:29:23 PM »

Thank you for everyone’s replies. I took the plunge last night and took a quarter of a tablet. Felt like a complete zombie this morning I know it takes a while to settle but I can’t feel like that for my job (dog walker/sitter) it didn’t help me sleep any better (still woke through the night) but did make me feel zonked each time I woke up felt very much like when I was on amatryptiline. I’ll go back to the drawing board

It is a shame it did not suit you but well done for trying it. I think that is very brave and you should feel proud.

Gnatty

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 05:55:46 PM »

Can I just add though, that only trying it for one night isn't really giving it a fair chance? Most ADs take a few weeks to feel the beneficial effects - Mirtazapine kicks in quicker than most of them but still takes a week or two. That zonked out feeling does wear off after a while too. In an ideal world one would take a break from work while adjusting to an AD but of course that's not always an option and then it's really hard to cope. Xx

Gilla999

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »

Yes I remember well that it made me feel horrendous at the start - a total zombie - and that lasted for approx 3 or 4 weeks (but for many it's much shorter) but after that I had / have no sedating side effects the next day at all.

It also didn't work for my sleep straight away - it took for me about 2 weeks to fully get rid of my sleep problems. As others have pointed out the full effect doesn't last forever but in general it has been a life saver for my sleep - but you do need to give it time and also make it through the initial side effects. They were horrendous initially for me but now I feel nothing bad at all xx
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:48:59 PM by Gilla999 »

Polpringle

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 07:56:16 PM »

I would love to be able to take time off work to be able to let it “work” unfortunately I’m self employed so not an option

Nas

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »

Think this is the issue polpringle, in that so many women are still HAVING  to work whilst dealing with this horrendous time of life. There isn’t that luxury to take time off to experiment with different drugs.

Years ago, women either didn’t work or they died before menopause hit them. I just don’t think we are designed to live this way quite frankly.

I feel extremely bitter and fed up that I am no where near retirement age, yet expected to struggle daily with this crap. It’s draining and unfair.

Hope something works for you. Just be mindful that whatever it is, you may not be able to come off it quite so easily and quickly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:54:15 PM by Nas »

Gilla999

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 09:22:55 PM »

I couldn't agree more Nas, I've had those exact thoughts many times before. Xx
Pages: 1 [2]