Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Osterogen and IBS  (Read 1201 times)

Dandelion

Osterogen and IBS
« on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:16 PM »

I am 55
I still have a womb
I take 25mcg Evorel patch and 200mg utrogestan.
I have been on HRT since 2013.

Several years ago, I got IBS, diarrhoea daily.
I started on 50mcg, which didn't take away the flushes, night sweats and IBS,
I went to 75mcg evorel, the IBS went away but the flushes and night sweats stayed.
I went onto 100mcg evorel and both IBS and flushes went.

I started bleeding from the womb, and saw doctors and consultants, had hysteroscopy.
As the bleeding happened more than once, the doctors gradually reduced my evorel.
I went down to 75, bleeds went, but came back.
I went down to 50, bleeds went but came back.
I went down to 25, bleeds went, night sweats came back, but are manageable with a fan, even in winter.

I had no other symptoms, until December last year, and the IBS started again.
I have seen my doctor who has taken samples and bloods.
No blood in stools, bloods fine.
They now want to do a colonoscopy.

As this is invasive, I am wondering whether my oestrogen levels have gone too low.
Currently the night sweats are still here (even in winter) and IBS.

I was thinking of moving up to 37.5mcg evorel to see if low oestrogen is the cause, as increasing it did take away the IBS before.
Is it possible for my oestrogen level to fluctuate downwards, causing this IBS?

Thanks

jaypo

Re: Osterogen and IBS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 05:19:53 PM »

I think a colonoscopy is a good idea I'm afraid,this way,they can tell if you have diverticulitis or an IBD.
I can't comment on the HRT but have you ever had an intolerance test done? I too was diagnosed with IBS but this is far to easy a diagnosis,there's always a reason for gut going into spasm,my test came back with a wheat allergy,cut wheat from my diet and no more cramps

Dandelion

Has anyone got knowledge/experience on IBS and oestrogen?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 08:23:01 PM »

I think a colonoscopy is a good idea I'm afraid,this way,they can tell if you have diverticulitis or an IBD.
I can't comment on the HRT but have you ever had an intolerance test done? I too was diagnosed with IBS but this is far to easy a diagnosis,there's always a reason for gut going into spasm,my test came back with a wheat allergy,cut wheat from my diet and no more cramps
I got coeliac disease blood test done, and it came back negative.
I've known for ages I am wheat intolerant, but it never gives me diarrhoea.
I really don't want the colonoscopy.
It's too invasive, and the bowel prep sounds disgusting.
I'm autistic as well, so it just adds to the stress.
If I could up the oestrogen, and the diarrhoea goes, I know the cause then.

When I had IBS before they tried mebeverine pills which gave me heartburn.
Someone on here said they had IBS from low oestrogen.
The oestrogen, when increased to a high enough dose, did take away the diarrhoea.
I would only want to up it to 37.5mcg as I am over the worst with pediment/meno.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 07:29:13 AM »

Ah ok, I can see why your worried about it.
I had a colonoscopy a few years back and the prep really isn't that bad,YES you've to stay close to a loo but I was ok,you can ask also for plenty sedation before the procedure.
In fact I'm going for a colonogram on Friday,could you ask for that rather? Same prep but not invasive procedure,you just lie in a dough ring.
I'm quite sure HRT could cause diarrhoea,also allergies can come to the fore when in menopause,so maybe like me,the wheat is now causing a bigger issue for you,this is why getting it investigated is so important,the MUST rule things out,so explain your situation and see if they'll do the CT colonogram instead

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »

Ah ok, I can see why your worried about it.
I had a colonoscopy a few years back and the prep really isn't that bad,YES you've to stay close to a loo but I was ok,you can ask also for plenty sedation before the procedure.
In fact I'm going for a colonogram on Friday,could you ask for that rather? Same prep but not invasive procedure,you just lie in a dough ring.
I'm quite sure HRT could cause diarrhoea,also allergies can come to the fore when in menopause,so maybe like me,the wheat is now causing a bigger issue for you,this is why getting it investigated is so important,the MUST rule things out,so explain your situation and see if they'll do the CT colonogram instead
I don't think the problem is my colon, I am sure it is lack of oestrogen as I still get night sweats. Thanks though

laszla

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 06:40:47 PM »

Dandelion, I'm a big advocate of measuring serum estradiol and that is what I would do first in your position as it will give you a concrete idea of how much estrogen is in your bloodstream.
I understand your worry re colonoscopy - I had gut symptoms and was referred for an endoscopy, an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and although my estradiol is still much too low, it has increased a bit but even that small increase has made my gut symptoms much better (though not my anxiety sadly!)

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 08:38:52 PM »

Dandelion, I'm a big advocate of measuring serum estradiol and that is what I would do first in your position as it will give you a concrete idea of how much estrogen is in your bloodstream.
I understand your worry re colonoscopy - I had gut symptoms and was referred for an endoscopy, an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and although my estradiol is still much too low, it has increased a bit but even that small increase has made my gut symptoms much better (though not my anxiety sadly!)
I agree with serum estradiol measurement.
Am I right in saying you are from USA?
I am UK and they do not do that here on the NHS, otherwise I would request it.
Before I got the right amount of oestrogen they wanted to to a colonoscopy, but gradually upping the otestrogen took away the diarrhoea.

laszla

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 09:52:00 PM »

I'm UK based Dandelion, I get my oestrogel tested at my NHS meno clinic and, because I urgently need to monitor it, I top up with additional private blood tests at medichecks (the most reasonably priced private tests Ive found).

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 01:02:13 AM »

I'm UK based Dandelion, I get my oestrogel tested at my NHS meno clinic and, because I urgently need to monitor it, I top up with additional private blood tests at medichecks (the most reasonably priced private tests Ive found).
I wish I could go private.
We don't have meno clinic, just a gynae dept at hospital.