Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Are my oestrogen levels too high?  (Read 927 times)

Nix

Are my oestrogen levels too high?
« on: May 21, 2022, 10:05:40 AM »

So a few months ago my consultant told me to up my oestrogen gel and then get tested a few months later… I’ve had the results back and the level seems high but I can’t see my consultant for a couple of months. My GP doesn’t know what I should do and has asked me to contact my consultants secretary for advice but suggested maybe lowering my dose.  My oestradiol level is 2032 and sex hormone binding globulin is 90 which is in range. I also take testosterone and my range for this looks good. Last week I reduced my oestrogel by one pump as I was worried I was having too much and I’m now feeling a bit hot and sweaty… not sure if this is withdrawal or bc I need to go back up. Anyone here had high numbers like mine?
Thanks

Nas

Re: Are my oestrogen levels too high?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 10:14:34 AM »

Admittedly that’s a high number you’ve scored there. BUT, it’s recommended that you go by symptoms rather than numbers.

I think it also depends how soon after you applied your oestrogen, you had your blood work done. I’ve read that blood taken on the same arm as the gel, can artificially inflate oestrogen levels ?

Are you peri or post menopause?

Go by how you feel, not what the numbers say.

🙂

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 10:28:01 AM »

Hi I agree with Nas….go by yr symptoms. There isn’t a “one level fits all “ so you might need a higher level than someone else. x

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 07:30:25 AM »

I agree too. I am still having a cycle but I've discovered after much trial and error that my Estrogen needs to be around 700-800 (day 21) at the moment for me to feel completely well - even though this gives me very sore and swollen boobs for the last 14 days of my cycle (but this happened naturally for me before Peri anyway).

I too have worried that it is too high, but I get a return of my symptoms when I drop below 700 ish. Not sure if it will always be that way as I get further into Meno, but I am trying these days not to think too much about it and just concentrate on being well.

In my personal experience, reducing your Estrogen when you've been on a set level for a while, will cause you symptoms - I experience exactly the same withdrawal as I do when I try too quickly to reduce my antidepressant medications. If you really wanted to try to reduce it I think it might be a long haul - doing it very very slowly, so your body has time to adapt to each reduction.

Good luck xx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 07:41:48 AM »

So a few months ago my consultant told me to up my oestrogen gel and then get tested a few months later… I’ve had the results back and the level seems high but I can’t see my consultant for a couple of months. My GP doesn’t know what I should do and has asked me to contact my consultants secretary for advice but suggested maybe lowering my dose.  My oestradiol level is 2032 and sex hormone binding globulin is 90 which is in range. I also take testosterone and my range for this looks good. Last week I reduced my oestrogel by one pump as I was worried I was having too much and I’m now feeling a bit hot and sweaty… not sure if this is withdrawal or bc I need to go back up. Anyone here had high numbers like mine?
Thanks

Nix it depends entriely on whether you are peri or post-menopause? If you are still having a cycle then oestrogen testing is completely pointless because you probably don't know where in your cycle you are. That reading slthough high is around the upper end of the ovulatory peak so you could have been at that point. Adding oestrogen may well make this peak higher?

And as Nas says it depends where on your body the blood was draewn and in relation to when you applied your gel. Notoriously unreliable (blood tests for oestrogen).

If you are post-menopause and concerned about the high levels then I would aske for a retest but time it so that it is say, half-way between gel applications and eg if you apply gel to your arm, make sure the blood is taken from the other arm.

Why did your consultant say to up your oestrogen?

Hurdity x

Floo36

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 07:37:50 AM »

If you are peri then it may well be a fluctuation and not what your levels are most of the time.  If you have symptoms then that usually indicates you need more Estrogen not less.