Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Artificial Lawns - for or against  (Read 4835 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Artificial Lawns - for or against
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 06:49:40 AM »

Although an artificial lawn may stump our mole  ;D who is still happily making his hills all over our grass

Reminds me of when we first moved here. DH and his dad carefully laid a new lawn. It looked lovely for about 24 hours. Woke up the next morning to find a mole had gone along all the seams of the turfs of grass……

Minusminnie

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 07:33:37 AM »

I can remember my little sister about aged 6/7 ? used to make a game out of bouncing on mole hills that appeared in our family lawn with her then new spacehopper. I think you can get adult ones ! 

jaypo

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 08:20:34 AM »

Haha,yes JuJu my OH not best pleased  ;D
Oh yes minusminnie I can just see me pitoinging all over the garden on one of those  ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 06:54:57 PM »

I think euphorbia are poisonous, as is rue when picked, ? sap ? burns.

Pitoinging ..........  :bouncing: like this  ;D. My sister had an orange space hopper I was never allowed 'a go'  >:( but I had to share my toys  >:( >:(

Minusminnie

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 07:06:51 PM »

ps I removed my previous post a few minutes ago about Mole Plant Euphorbia Lathyris deterring moles as looking it up further it seems debatable on some websites.
Euphorbia is poisonous and will spread easily if left to go to seed. I've kept one small patch of it at the back of a border away from grandchildren.
The fate of being the older sister !

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »

I hate euphoria  ;D ............. not something that I would have in my garden even if I had lots of space  ::).

Moles - I love ;-) in the fields.  Many years ago my dog caught 1, handed it to me - I put in2 our compost, the Head Chef was less than impressed  :o  ;)

Minusminnie

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 08:21:57 PM »

I hate euphoria  ;D

freudian slip ?

The circle of life.  All sorts goes in our compost bin.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2022, 08:12:44 AM »

:rofl:

C.C.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2022, 01:21:56 PM »

I have seen some homes with artificial grass, but only in the more affluent part of town. Homeowners there can afford to replace their entire lawns, it's pretty expensive.  It looks ok, and I suppose it's also better for those with grass allergies.

getting_old

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 05:31:11 PM »

I can see the appeal for someone who can't mow their lawn but still wants something that looks green. I know someone who got a small one for that reason and it seems to be very low maintenance. It's just a smallish area where they've added a few pots of flowers and they look nice.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:33:19 PM by getting_old »

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 07:11:28 PM »

Not good for wild life though.  Also they don't allow soak away when it rains = flooding.

getting_old

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »

Not good for wild life though.  Also they don't allow soak away when it rains = flooding.

Not sure about water not soaking away as they haven't had any issues with flooding etc. Maybe it's the type of lawn, or how it was installed, or what's around it. It always looks clean and dry when I've seen it and they tell me they don't maintain it.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »

Not even the odd hoovery-thingy across it   ::).

It's been banned at Chelsea Flower Show this year ........... if 1 doesn't want to mow, dig up the lawn.  That's what we did, put down gravel and now poppies etc. self seed.

Jellyb

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »

We have an artificial lawn and have done for the last 13 years or so.  It's great for the dogs as they don't dig or get covered in mud which they then bring in the house.
I'll dispel the myth that they don't allow rain to run off - they do.  We've never had flooding issues, it has sand, soil & hardcore underneath, so plenty of drainage.  In the winter months it always looks green, so brightens the garden up.  Another myth - you don't have to hoover it!  I just sweep up any fallen leaves, same as any lawn.  You can have a service dressing, where they fluff up the pile and add further sand to make it look fresher but we've not done that.
Periodically during the summer, I spray it with a disinfectant/water solution to dilute the doggy smells, but that's the only maintenance needed.
Each to their own, but I enjoy our artificial lawn and it suits my style of garden where I like everything to look neat!

Amazing grace

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2022, 04:00:58 PM »

I too have an artificial lawn, mostly because my husband has severe allergies and even though I used to cut the grass it made him suffer dispite taking meds, I too can say I never get any flooding, water drains through it, I also don't need to hoover it, I just use the leaf blower on it, it stays looking nice all year round, I have a dog but he doesn't do his business on it, he has a part of the garden with gravel that he uses, I have large borders full of plants, I also have lots of trees so definitely does not affect wildlife, I have lots of birds, squirrels, hedge hogs too, I like it, as it looks extremely neat and suits my modern house and garden, in fact lots of houses have artificial lawns in my neighbourhood, and there's never any flooding issues, each to there own but personally I like them and would never go back to a real lawn now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3