Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1016 times)

Thepopsie

• First Flush
New to the forum
« on: May 25, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am 48 and been on HRT for a year. I suspect I have been experiencing symptoms for a couple of years before that.

I have a range of symptoms which come and go through the month. Lack of sex drive, brain fog, struggling to concentrate, making lots of mistakes at work, and feeling that being around people is very draining.

I find it very difficult (impossible) to talk about in the same way I find it hard to ask for help. So I tend not to. Which is frustrating for my partner.

It's also difficult to know what's menopause and what's just me. I have had some of the symptoms I mentioned at various times through life. And a change of job a few years ago has proven a challenge to all of my confidence and ability.

When I mentioned that I felt symptoms get worse on the progesterone part of my cycle the HRT nurse mentioned that perhaps I'd always struggled during that phase of my cycle ie am progesterone sensitive.

I am currently on 75mg estradot and 2 x 100 Utrogestan for 12 days of my cycle having changed from a different regime in December.

Since then, on day 1 of each period I have had crippling stomach pains. Bent over double and incapacitated for a few hours. I've never had much in the way of cramps during my periods until now.

Just having a really rotten day today all round and wanted to reach out. I have so much to be thankful for in my life but life feels very hard at the moment.

Take care :)

Dotty

Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 10:27:46 AM »

Hi  :) and welcome to the forum.  You'll find lots of information and helpful ladies on here.  Just ask anything and someone will be along to help. xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 10:30:36 AM »

Hello Thepopsie. Welcome to the forum. As you find it difficult to open up, I think you have done so well to join the forum and describe how you are feeling.

It is common to be sensitive to progesterone and you do not have to stay on utrogestan if it is causing you cramping. I understand when it is difficult to reach out, contacting your nurse is going to be hard. I would try to make an appointment to discuss your symptoms as they sound unbearable.

Starting a new job is a huge change. I can understand why you would feel anxious about it. You are not alone on here. You will find lots of support.

Pippa52

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »

Hi and welcome  to the forum. There are so many lovely ladies on here and it’s so helpful to be able to open up and discuss everything with people who understand x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 11:18:46 AM »

:welcomemm:  well done.  We are all in a similar boat so ask away: nowt is taboo or too much ..........

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  That gives you a guide as to what you need to ask for.

MayB think about how you felt during your menstruating years.  I had really bad period pains for at least 2 days ........ awful.  'feminax' helped me, the idea being to take tablets 2 days prior to when a period is due to ease any muscular cramping.

Regardless of your over-all life style, hormone upheaval can cause us to doubt everything we do!  Let us know how you get on.

VanillaLover

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 11:26:49 AM »

Hello! Welcome.

One tip I have read about the cramps is to take ibuprofen at the first sign of cramps (dont wait until they are severe). Ibuprofen blocks prostaglandins, which are responsible for the cramps. Keep up with regular ibuprofen doses for a day or so. My period cramps were getting gradually worse over the years before HRT, I sometime practically faint because of them. So it may not be wholly due to the utrogestan.

I am 46 and HRT has been helpful but I still have symptoms coming and going throughout my menstrual cycle. Still one day it will all stop (probably have a totally different set of problems by then!)

Vanilla x

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »

Sorry I may just have repeated some of what CKLD said there…I assume feminax contains ibuprofen! If they are really severe a stronger NSAID like Naproxen would be ok short term. Don’t think you can get it OTC though.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »

That's OK VanillaLover

Thepopsie

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »

Thank you all very much for taking a moment to reply:)