Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post menopausal bleeding  (Read 1962 times)

Blueskiesandmeno

• First Flush
Post menopausal bleeding
« on: May 17, 2022, 05:39:00 PM »

Hi there everyone. I wonder if anybody could relate to my experience at all? I have been on HRT Utrogestan, and Evorel 75 patches for approximately 2years. I was on Evorel Conti 50 for about four years before that. I was changed over to the Utrogestan and Evorel 75 when I was 55, and the doctor considered that I was probably through my menopause ( how do you ever know if you are on hrt?). No problems on Utrogesten, and Evorel 75. I was getting a little bit of pain in my lower left abdomen, near my left ovary, and in December I went for an ultrasound and a small fibroid was detected. Last Tuesday, I started with some brown bloody discharge, and then by Thursday this had increased to a period like flow which I still have today.

I have just spoken to my GP who gave me the choice of coming off my HRT immediately for six weeks and seeing if the bleeding stopped, or carrying on with my HRT and being referred for a routine gyne appointment which will maybe months.

I am quite shocked, and very upset by all this. I have decided to come off my HRT immediately, and pray that the bleeding stops.

I know that nobody can give me any reassurance, so I hope it’s okay to just post and ask if anyone has had any similar experiences?

Dotty

Re: Post menopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 05:46:50 PM »

Hi yes I’ve had a similar experience. I’m 57 and have  been suffering with bleeding after three happy years on hrt. Investigations have shown that everything is ok.

Personally, I wouldn’t stop the HRT. I wasn’t told to. It could be that you need more progesterone or it could be the fibroids that are causing your bleeding.

I would stay on hrt and go for the investigations and take it from there. X

Blueskiesandmeno

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 05:51:55 PM »

Thank goodness you’re ok!  And thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I really don’t want to come off my HRT as I don’t know how I’m going to manage without it.   

I am a bit surprised that my doctor wants me to wait six weeks, I don’t know if I can manage to do that. I did ask her if my fibroid could be causing the bleeding, and if fibroids could bleed if you don’t have periods anymore, but she didn’t answer.

I feel very scared and confused. 

Thank you again

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 06:08:21 PM »

Hi any post menopausal bleeding should be seen on a two week fast track, as it can be a sign of cancer. However, don’t be alarmed by that. Bleeding on hrt happens an awful lot. You should be referred and they will do a scan and possibly an internal vaginal scan. This will determine the thickness of the womb lining . From that measurement they will decide if you need further investigations in the form of a pipelle biopsy or a hysteroscopy.  I have had both. I have recently lowered the amount of oestrogen that I use to try and stop the bleeding. x

Blueskiesandmeno

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 06:16:38 PM »

Thank you Dotty. Yes I am surprised that my GP gave me the two options – come off my HRT immediately and wait for six weeks to see if the bleeding stops. Or the second option, carry on with my HRT medication and be put in for a general routine Gyne appt which could take months.  I was really shocked when she told me to come off my HRT immediately.

Blueskiesandmeno

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 06:19:12 PM »

Dotty, I do hope that they can stop your bleeding. It is really scary when you’re not sure what is happening with your body.

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 06:37:21 PM »

Hi thanks for your kind wishes. The bleeding is a bit of a pain but I’m not worried about it. I’m hoping that the decrease in oestrogen will stop it. Or if that doesn’t work I will change the progesterone.

Your GP should be referring you on a two week referral . x

Nas

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 06:39:33 PM »

Hi Blueskies,
You should be seen within 2 weeks for a transvaginal scan and possible hysteroscopy, for reasons Dotty has mentioned. That’s the rule with Post menopausal bleeding. You shouldn’t have to wait weeks.

Depending on the findings, you will then be advised what course of action to take. For example, lower your oestrogen, increase ( or switch  progesterone ) or change to a different regime etc.

I keep bleeding on the 75 patch and know the 100 utrogestan doesn’t do it’s job properly, as I’ve had all the scans etc. So now, I’m waiting for a coil to be fitted, in the hope that it sorts the bleeding.

I personally wouldn’t come off your Hrt with immediate effect. Your body will likely crash and you may feel unwell.

Definitely you need the womb lining checked though ASAP.

Best of luck.
It is scary but I’m sure all will be okay. 🙂

Nas

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 06:42:05 PM »

Dotty, what progesterone are you currently on? Which do you think you may switch to if you have to? X

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »

Hi Nas I think Provera is my only option or double dose of Utrogestan x

Nas

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 07:26:03 PM »

Yes I want to give provera a go but I’m told coil is better. Provera is listed on BMS web page though, as an appropriate option.

I tried doubling utrogestan, but made me feel a bit spaced out.

Good luck ! X

Dotty

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »

Hi Nas Thanks. At the moment the bleeding has stopped so I’m hoping that it might not start again. I believe that any change in dosage of oestrogen can cause bleeding for 3-6 months so I won’t do anything just yet.

Teresa

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 08:02:41 PM »

Hi Blueskiesandmeno,

I haven’t been in HRT for as long as you ( 9 months) , but I am on Evorel 75 and utrogestan. I started getting bleeding after being on Evorel 75 for about 4 months after upping doseage, from 50. I’d been on HRT for seven months at the time, my bleeding was brown spotting.  My GP sent me for an ultrasound and I’ve also had a hyteroscopy. They wanted to get me checked out despite only changing doseage 4 months before.

I don’t want to scare you, but I really think you should get checked out. I have fibroids as well, (I’ve got about 14) but they don’t tend to give me any trouble. What they did find was that the lining of my womb is 16 mm . I’m currently waiting for my biopsy results but I have a strong feeling it’s because I don’t take enough progesterone. I think 100 mg utrogestan isn’t quite enough for me, especially in 75 mg Evorel. I did ask a few months back if I should up my progesterone, but they said no, but I always doubt their advice, as I know they don’t know a lot about HRT.

You shouldn’t have to come off your HRT just yet, unless they can give you a good reason to come off it - which they can’t at this point.

I really urge you to go back to your GP and insist you get a scan.

Teresa
X
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:26:52 PM by Teresa »

Blueskiesandmeno

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 08:29:15 PM »

Thank you Nas and Teresa - and everyone.  I have decided to contact my GP again tomorrow, and ask for a fast track for investigation. I am also going to replace the patch that I took off today, as I agree with you Nas, I think it’s just too much to come off cold turkey.  You have all helped me through this evening, so thank you all. I will let you know the outcome x

Blueskiesandmeno

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 08:38:06 PM »

Teresa, I really hope that you get your results soon, and that everything is ok with you. Everything crossed for you x
Pages: [1] 2