Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Evorel Sequi or Conti?  (Read 12192 times)

Me

Evorel Sequi or Conti?
« on: May 17, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »

I recently started a new topic about developing pmt since being on Evorel Sequi but no one replied!  :-\
So I am trying another tack:  As I understand it, if you're still having periods, even if they are all over the place and varying in length etc then you must take a propgestrogen in addition to oestrogen.  But discussing my horrendous PMT symptoms since being on Evorel Sequi with a friend, she said she was started on Evorel conti even though she was still having the occasional period.
I have an appointment with and hrt doctor at y local sexual health clinic becasue there are no GPs who know anything about hrt at my surgery.  however, I called the clinic and was told that I won't get an appointment til the end of July!!  even though it's hardly an emergency, my symptoms are pretty bad.  Basically I am now having regular periods, every month (never had them that regularly before in my life) and have very, very sore boobs for most of the tie but getting even worse before the period.  and even though, overall my mood has lifted which has been the only real but important benefit for me, i am getting very low mood with the pmt.
can I just ask the GP to put e on Evorel Conti instead?

VanillaLover

Re: Evorel Sequi or Conti?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »

Hi, sorry no one replied to your last post!

First, if you have a uterus you must take progesterone to stop the lining building up. The Conti has a progesterone built in to the patch.

The bleed you are getting on your patch (sequi?) is not a real bleed. It’s not an actual period but a withdrawal from the progesterone once a month. That’s why you are so regular.

How were your periods before you started the patches? If you were still having periods then the conti probably wont work brilliantly and you will get breakthrough bleeding from your own cycle when it does happen.

Some women don’t get on with the synthetic progesterone in the patches, I imagine that’s whats causing your PMT type symptoms.

You may find an Evorel patch with separate micronised progesterone better. You wear the patch all the time but take the progesterone tablet for 12-14 days of your cycle. This has the advantage that you can increase the patch strength if you want etc (sequi and conti patches only come in one strength)

Hope this helps

Floradora

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 01:20:11 PM »

There’s no particular downside to trying Evorel conti instead of sequi. The worst that might happen is that you get breakthrough bleeding from your own cycle if it’s still strong enough. On the plus side you might get no bleeds at all. The progestogen in the conti is the same one as in the sequi but at a lower dose . You might find this an improvement.

Me

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 03:33:42 PM »

Hi thanks for your replies - so basically both Sequi and Conti have progestrogen but Sequi has more?
So my periods before were sometimes heavy , sometimes very light and short and very far apart, usually at least 40 days.
So, I could conceivably ask GP to just give me the ones with Conti on them?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 04:24:18 PM »

The progesterone in Evorel is Norethisterone which is well known for causing the classic PMT type symptoms of irritability and low mood. I found that Evorel caused these feelings so I swapped to FemSeven sequi which has a kinder progesterone. I'm not sure if it's available at the moment but the advice to try just the Evorel 50 patch and add in a different progesterone may work for you. Do you feel ok mood wise on the oestrogen only patches?

I did try FemSevenConti for a while but had constant heavy bleeding for six months and then gave up and went back to sequi as the withdrawal bleed each month always arrived on time.

Taz x

Ecl

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »

My understanding is that the dose is the same in the actual patch, just the timing that’s different, so in Evorel conti you have 3.2mg of oestrogen and 11.2 mg norethisterone (synthetic progesterone). You use this patch all the time.
In Evorel sequii you have two types of patch, Evorel 50 containing 3.2mg oestrogen and Evorel conti patches, the same as above. You use the 50 for two weeks then the conti for two weeks.
This means that on this regime, you get less progesterone on sequii, sequii is meant to tie in with your periods hence it is used in women still menstruating.
Conti used all the time is used for women who have stopped their periods. There are some exceptions.
If you used the 50 patches only and then utrogestan for your progesterone, then indeed the recommended dose is 200 for 12 days on a sequential cycle (sequi) but only 100 daily on a continuous cycle (conti).
Some people find the ups and downs of a sequi cycle hard and so prefer a conti cycle despite the bleeding it can cause, and there are some people that I read should only be on a conti HRT. Others prefer to have a regular bleed despite being post menopause, often because of the side effects, following a sequi regime allows them some time off from the progesterone.
Hope this helps

Me

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 09:12:09 PM »

Hi, Thanks for that. 
You mention that Conti causes bleeding too.  I thought it was the Sequi  - which is why I'm having regular periods now. 
thanks

Me

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 09:16:41 PM »

The progesterone in Evorel is Norethisterone which is well known for causing the classic PMT type symptoms of irritability and low mood. I found that Evorel caused these feelings so I swapped to FemSeven sequi which has a kinder progesterone. I'm not sure if it's available at the moment but the advice to try just the Evorel 50 patch and add in a different progesterone may work for you. Do you feel ok mood wise on the oestrogen only patches?

I did try FemSevenConti for a while but had constant heavy bleeding for six months and then gave up and went back to sequi as the withdrawal bleed each month always arrived on time.

Taz x

I do feel pretty 'hormonal' and it's very annoying because I have never felt like that in my life.  Don't fancy starting PMT in my 50s!!   Is it absolutely necessary to have the progestrogen?

Friend of lhasaapso

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 10:03:38 PM »

Hi , I'm post meno now &have tried all types of tablets and patches &get pmt type symptoms on all of them.
      I think the femseven sequi was probably a better one ,but still had pmt weeping &tiredness .
       If you're getting pmt symptoms, maybe try a different patch like femseven sequi to see if can tolerate the progesterone in that .
        We all need the progesterone part,as it protects the womb lining from building up too much ,which could cause cancer.
          If you took conti, you may have that pmt feeling all the time as a side effect,unfortunately, if you're sensitive to progesterone.

Me

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 08:14:43 AM »

Hi - I've been told my appointment will be in AUGUST!!!!  the sore boobs thing is really getting me down now.  Don't know what to do.

Harbi46

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 09:27:32 AM »

On envorel sequi 50 still getting horrific night sweats after 1 month - can I add a pump of gel at night?