Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Just A Quick Rant  (Read 3244 times)

ATB

Re: Just A Quick Rant
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »

I’ve had prolactin tested for past 5 years, it went so high at one point but over the years goes up and down so I think that’s stress. It’s fine now but at one point they were going to do an MRI if I got another high one.

Kathleen

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2022, 05:58:23 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I have never had a prolactin test and I don't even know what prolactin is lol.

I do feel stressed a lot of the time but I always put that down to worrying about my HRT and my wobbly emotional health.

Btw ladies I have tried to message my GP today on their Ask My GP service and it is still out of operation plus patients are being told not to contact the surgery.  Looks like I will have to keep trying and hope the system is up and running again soon. Goodness knows how many other people will have the same idea so a further delay is pretty much guaranteed. Another public service overwhelmed it seems.

Take care everyone.

K.

ATB

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2022, 06:14:21 PM »

Oh I’m sorry, that’s frustrating and you shouldn’t have to wait to contact your GP. Prolactin is the hormone we release in pregnancy and when breastfeeding. I don’t know enough about it outside these times other than what my doctor told me about mine, which was that it can happen because of stress or in 1/5 women it’s actually a totally harmless benign tiny tumour on the pituitary- that’s why they suggested an MRI for me but it went down. It’s not a big issue from what I was told. I wondered if mine was up and down because most of my other hormones were too? Stress in general but also on my endocrine system.

Kathleen

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2022, 06:30:49 PM »

Hello ATB.

Thanks for the information.

I was super chilled through my pregnancies and breastfeeding which I did for a year for both babies so I assume my Prolactin was high at those times. I clearly have more to learn. If Prolactin is variable now it wouldn't be a surprise given the up and down nature of my other hormones!

Take care and wishing you well.

K.

Marchlove

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2022, 06:47:39 PM »

I don’t know a lot about prolactin apart from the following.
Melatonin increases prolactin which should peak in the middle of the night which them promotes REM sleep. REM sleep is very important as it’s when the brain sorts everything out and stores what information we have gathered during the day, so promoting calmness.
Prolactin levels should be lower in the morning and throughout the day.
The test for prolactin, taken I believe 9am is fairly accurate compared to some tests, although stress can increase prolactin, so the very fact of going to the Gp to give bloods could give a false reading.
Vitex agnus castus taken in the morning can lower prolactin and increase dopamine. It’s dose dependant and not quite figured this out yet.
That’s all I know.
Oh apart from Nick Panay is very keen on Vitex for PMS/PMDD I gather.
Uptick will be back when she has the time to give us more information.
X

Kathleen

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 07:11:12 PM »

Hello Marchlove.

Very interesting info re Prolactin and sleep.  I look forward to learning more and if Nick Panay rates Vitex then I may just get myself some!

Take care.

K.

ATB

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2022, 07:15:10 PM »

I have the Angus castus I think I got for that reason but wasn’t consistent.

VictoryV

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2022, 08:13:34 PM »

Hi Kathleen,
Sorry to hear you’re suffering.

Is it possible to have an AD review with a professional that will give you time to explain without feeling rushed and talk through options? Did the Venlafaxine ever totally free you of anxiety, crying, low mood etc? Changing meds after years of taking them is daunting but with professional support and time it could help.
I hope you don’t mind me asking, please don’t feel you have to answer.

Wishing you well.
Victoria.☀️

Marchlove

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »

Don’t jump into something else too quickly Kathleen.
This is just information for you to log, make a note of somewhere and slowly gather more information.
There is an answer for you and it probably is more than one thing, but you need time to process and step back to think who can really help me in this journey with the resources I have available.
You’ve had a hell of a lot of information recently outside your comfort zone, don’t underestimate that.
I admire you so much for your willingness to think outside the box, you have more courage and determination than I think you give yourself credit for.
You’re special x

Kathleen

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2022, 05:51:42 PM »

Hello again ladies.

ATB - I will look into the Angus Castus supplement but I am prepared to be disappointed lol.

Victoria V - You make a good point about the AD. I began taking it at the same time as the HRT so I never really knew if it helped or not. Maybe it never did suit me plus I understand that these drugs can also stop working  over time so a review would be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion and I don't mind you asking at all.

Marchlove -  I am doing my best to feel better, as are we all and the help and support of you lovely ladies is incalculable! I will take my time, try to be sensible and keep trying!

Thanks again ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

Uptick

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »

Hi Kathleen, sorry for the delay in responding. Prolactin can cause excessive crying. It can get high in a number of situations, but I suspect menopause isn't on the list for the usual reason, no one cares. Try asking for a test, it won't hurt and it could be the answer to your ongoing emotional problem. Sorry to be brief, too busy atm. Good luck and keep us posted.

Pippa52

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2022, 07:46:50 PM »

Kathleen - oh gosh I feel for you.  The anxiety is just the absolute pits.  Sometimes it can get so bad that you wonder how you are going to cope but we do us ladies.  I so hope you feel better soon.  It does seem to be about getting the right dose and doing that is just a nightmare of trial and error.  I am coming back as a man I tell you !! Take care xx
Pages: 1 2 [3]