Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Prolapse surgery and Hysterectomy  (Read 1943 times)

Sarah48

Prolapse surgery and Hysterectomy
« on: May 14, 2022, 04:04:50 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I will be having a prolapse repair and hysterectomy this summer.  Would really love to know of other ladies experiences with this surgery.  I am quite nervous but think it’s for the best🤞.. also already on HRT so what happens after the op?
Thankyou 😊

Taz2

Re: Prolapse surgery and Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:26:59 PM »

Hi Sarah. I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2014 for prolapsed womb plus an anterior repair for my bladder. I was already on HRT and just changed to oestrogen only patches. Have you got a prolapsed womb?

The operation was far less painful than I thought it would be and I only needed ibuprofen and paracetamol. I spent two nights in hospital. I did have a 'traumatised' bladder after the op which took a week to resolve. This is common so don't worry if it happens to you. It is really important to follow post op instructions to the letter as there is a lot of healing taking place for weeks afterwards. Which type are you having and are you keeping your ovaries?

Taz x  :)

Sarah48

Re: Prolapse surgery and Hysterectomy
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 09:09:30 AM »

Hi Taz2

Thankyou for responding 😊

I believe I have prolapsed everything! He said if doing a repair I would have to have a vaginal hysterectomy.
We haven’t discussed if keeping my ovaries. I had a conversation with the consultant on Friday and he is now sending me a letter to confirm date and more details.   Too be honest I would be quite happy if they just took the lot away!
Did you keep your ovaries?   If not did you find the transition to full menopause okay?  I am peri menopausal at the moment but HRT is doing a good job of keeping me sane!
It’s really good to hear your op went well and reassuring.  Did the prolapse surgery work well too?  I am wondering if I will ever be able to go to a HIT class again!  Also did you find weight difficult to control after surgery?  I have read that lots of women put on weight after a hysterectomy.. something I don’t want after already putting on nearly 2 stone over lockdown 😩..
Thankyou for your advice xx