Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is cutting HRT patches actually effective? Advice please?  (Read 1078 times)

Springchicken

Is cutting HRT patches actually effective? Advice please?
« on: May 13, 2022, 09:59:36 PM »

Hello all
I am on the lowest dose of Evorel conti and am just wondering if I need to slightly increase the dose, but not to double the dose by using 2 patches (a pharmacists suggestion but only with GP guidelines). I haven't dared do this - it is a massive sudden increase.
Does anyone know how the hormones are actually released from the patches over a 24 hour period? It is my understanding that each dose is released from different layers of each patches over a given period of time and the patches are specifically constructed this way. I wonder if by cutting a patch in half /  quarter etc, how effective this method is at delivering the amount of hormones you want...? I have a feeling different types of patch are constructed in a different way in order to release drug in a specific time delivered way.
Does anyone have a definitive answer on this please? I would really appreciate it.
I am having some mad palpitations and low mood with evorel conti. I wonder if I need more or less of this HRT. It is a total minefield to navigate isnt it! I have been on hrt for 9 years now and have worked my way through several different ones as my body changes.
I hope you are all doing ok....some days are awful and depressing ( and very sweaty :)  ) but there is always blue sky and sunshine waiting. At least we aren't alone with the struggles.
Take care lovely ladies. ;D :sunny:  :sweatdrop:

LSmarty

Re: Is cutting HRT patches actually effective? Advice please?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 05:17:10 AM »

Hi Springchicken

Yes you can cut a patch as most are matrix patches (evenly distributed)
However my pharmacist recently told me that doubling up or adding more doesn't always give you more! ideally you need a higher patch
Hope that helps

Les xox

Springchicken

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 06:55:27 AM »

Hello

Thank you for that.
Matrix. That was the word I was trying to remember! I will investigate further with the pharmacist.
I need to perhaps try a different HRT yet again. The GP's are so fed up with me and I am sure they think I am a hypochondriac. They have a new revised phrase for that I think. ......Somatic Symptom Disorder / Illness Anxiety.
I absolutley dread trying to get a GP appointment and delay it as long as I can.
A quick chat with the pharmacist might be the way forward.
Many thanks for the reply.
Spring Chicken :sunny: x

ATB

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »

My private doctor at Newson told me I could cut patches to add a bit more during my Utrogestan phase. I had thought ‘destroying the matrix’ ( I love saying that! ) would ruin the delivery system but apparently not.

Springchicken

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 08:18:41 PM »

Hi
Thank you.
"Destroying the Matrix" brilliant!
Cheers for the reply,
best wishes. ;D ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 10:56:36 PM »

This is an old thread but may be of interesthttps://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29051.0.html

I seem to remember advice to cut from corner to corner. Not sure where I got that from though!  :)

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 11:11:45 PM »

My GP told me it is OK to cut the patches.  Yes, cut from corner to corner, I saw a demo pic somewhere. 

Not sure it's ideal or accurate enough in the long run but useful in the short term to ascertain the right dose maybe.

For me at the moment,  I am on 1 1/2 patches as low dose too low and medium dose too high. (Estraderm Matrix)

Wondered if the gel would make it easier to adjust doses but what with the shortages on the news, I'm holding off on asking the GP.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 02:55:00 AM »

Hello all
I am on the lowest dose of Evorel conti and am just wondering if I need to slightly increase the dose, but not to double the dose by using 2 patches (a pharmacists suggestion but only with GP guidelines). I haven't dared do this - it is a massive sudden increase.
Does anyone know how the hormones are actually released from the patches over a 24 hour period? It is my understanding that each dose is released from different layers of each patches over a given period of time and the patches are specifically constructed this way. I wonder if by cutting a patch in half /  quarter etc, how effective this method is at delivering the amount of hormones you want...? I have a feeling different types of patch are constructed in a different way in order to release drug in a specific time delivered way.
Does anyone have a definitive answer on this please? I would really appreciate it.
I am having some mad palpitations and low mood with evorel conti. I wonder if I need more or less of this HRT. It is a total minefield to navigate isnt it! I have been on hrt for 9 years now and have worked my way through several different ones as my body changes.
I hope you are all doing ok....some days are awful and depressing ( and very sweaty :)  ) but there is always blue sky and sunshine waiting. At least we aren't alone with the struggles.
Take care lovely ladies. ;D :sunny:  :sweatdrop:
When I was on 100mcg I cut a quarter off to make 75mcg during the shortages I think, it was fine for me, a bit of a faff but ok.