Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What if feels like having an hysteroscopy please?  (Read 4071 times)

AnneS

Re: What if feels like having an hysteroscopy please?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »

When I had my failed attempt ( extremely painful ) at the day unit , the consultant said that a local would only dumb the actual womb and not the cervix so he recommended a general anaesthetic for me ! Everyone ( and their wombs ! ) are different though ! Xx

Sid

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »

Hi

I recently was referred under the 2 Week Wait pathway and an appointment was booked for a hysteroscopy and biopsies.  I was really worried and asked for it to be postponed so I could discuss the procedure with a consultant first. She was amazing and took the time to explain the procedure fully.  She said that I could have a local anaesthetic to numb the cervix and that gas and air would also be available. She said the procedure could be stopped at any time if I was not coping and that it could be done under general anaesthetic.  At the appointment, all the staff were brilliant. It was uncomfortable but bearable and the staff constantly checked that I was okay.  I could not fault them xx

suzysunday

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 11:27:41 AM »

We are all so different in how we cope.  I was offered the procedure with no mention of a general.  I was petrified reading some women's experiences also I have never had children.  Looking online I found a ga was an option.  I contacted my GP who contacted the hospital.  I got the ga with no trouble and the hospital were really good about it.  For some a general is too extreme for the short procedure but it was the right choice for me.   I did not have to stay overnight if I had someone to take me home and stay with me.   It's difficult if your procedure is Monday,.  it's going through with it or postponing till a general can be organized.  It's not easy asking for these things.

Emm225

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2022, 06:01:05 PM »

I found it very painful...but that is probably because of other issues...but I managed it.  A couple of my friends had one and they were fine, said wasn't painful at all.  Like most things..it's personal.  The lovely consultant said to me that if I found it too painful he would stop.  In his letter he said I "tolerated an outpatient hysteroscopy....remarkably well" 

Pixielilac

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 07:47:21 PM »

I had one, or an attempted one. I was told to take paracetomol beforehand, it was extremely painful. No gas and air or local anaesthetic offered. I got as far as her trying to force the camera in and trying to pump water into me, but she couldn’t get through the neck of the womb so got a pair of like scissor things and started to cut her way in and that’s when I said please stop. They said if there any fibroids they will snip them off at the same time.
They said have a break and we’ll go again.
Again the pain was too much, I’d had a biopsy done the week before and was ok with that so thought the hysteroscopy would be about the same, but I couldn’t work out how they could get ‘in’ for the biopsy but not get ‘in’ for the hysteroscopy.
Anyway, I had it under general anaesthetic, about 6 fibroids removed and more sent off for more biopsies.
Very painful when I came round from the anaesthetic, but would never have it again without general anaesthetic.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 08:43:34 PM by Pixielilac »

suzysunday

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 10:04:13 AM »

Poor you, that sounds horrendous xx

QueenofReds3

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 04:41:25 PM »

Hi Sfifties
How did you get on yesterday with your hysteroscopy? I hope you are okay and it was not painful or as bad as you feared.
I had my scan ultra sound and trans vaginal, luckily they only found a small fibroid and my lining is all okay so relieved now. X

Sfifties

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2022, 07:15:31 PM »

Hi ! Thank you for asking .
I didn’t need an hysteroscopy!
Keep reading ..
So as you imagine i was terrified although grateful lots of you had shared their experience.

This was s 2 week urgent referral from my Gp and i saw the form she sent it clearly stated reason for referral as suspected  endometrial cancer so i was quite anxious about it all.
When i got to the hospital the Gynaecologist consultant called me in an office and asked me to tell him about my hrt history etc.
We went through  my scan results and was aware that endometrium was 3mm
So very  low risk for cancer , regarding my small fibroid he told me that if he scanned every woman in London half of them in middle age will have fibroids and regarding the anechoic fluid in my uterus he explained that as things change down there, don’t remember the proper words he used , some fluid can be trapped but it’s not a reason of concern ( at least in my case given the rest of the scan findings), so it seems my bleeding it is hrt caused ( i am  on my 7th months of conti regime with 100mg utrogestan) and suggested trying 200 mg which i had already asked my Gp as i had read here that could settle it but my Gp said she’s not allowed to prescribe it.
So it was the Consultant decision that I didn’t need the hysteroscopy after all.
He did say that it is the standard procedure for Gps to refer but he sees lots of women in my same situation .
I did have an internal examination and he said everything looked normal,  and i had a smear test too which had not been able to have as in my two last attempts had been impossible as too much blood present to take a sample.
I have had several smear tests and this was the quickest and least uncomfortable of all , it was over very quickly , the examination was fine too slight discomfort at times but nothing unbearable but i think it was down to the Consultant being very confident and experienced .
I now will get my smear test results in 4 weeks.
He will write a report to my Gp and hopefully that  will make her comfortable prescribing double utrogestan, if that fails will try sequential .
Sorry if i have given you so much information..u just asked about tge hysteroscopy!
Glad everything ok with you too .

Dotty

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2022, 07:20:28 PM »

Good news xxx

QueenofReds3

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »

Very good news. I am pleased you did not have to go through with the hysteroscopy. Xxx

Sfifties

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2022, 09:31:24 AM »

Thank you so much .
Should the Consultant had decided i needed one , the nurse who had checked me in confirmed that as an outpatient there was not any anaesthetic possible not even local but she added that they do several a week  like that .
It’s a bit like when i gave birth i remember my sister who had 3 births with epidural told me to absolutely ask for one, and on that day the Anaesthetist at the hospital was not available and i went through without it
I think we are capable of more than we think at times, although i do appreciate we are all different and i understand some ladies have had real bad experiences and found these kind of procedures too uncomfortable.

suzysunday

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »

So glad you didn't have to have one. X
Pages: 1 [2]