Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and estriol cream  (Read 1930 times)

Scorpio700

• First Flush
Vagifem and estriol cream
« on: May 12, 2022, 06:26:14 PM »

Hi everyone…I have just been prescribed Vagifem vaginal pressaries for the two week stint, reducing to twice a week, plus Estriol vaginal cream with applicator both to be used nightly.  Can anyone tell me please which should be used first?  I am guessing Vagifem, as it has the tablet pessary to be introduced internally that sticks to the vaginal wall, followed by the estriol cream internally.  No one explained the order that they should be used in, bearing in mind they both are nightly and vaginally.  Thanks all..😊

Flossieteacake

Re: Vagifem and estriol cream
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 06:35:09 PM »

Hi everyone…I have just been prescribed Vagifem vaginal pressaries for the two week stint, reducing to twice a week, plus Estriol vaginal cream with applicator both to be used nightly.  Can anyone tell me please which should be used first?  I am guessing Vagifem, as it has the tablet pessary to be introduced internally that sticks to the vaginal wall, followed by the estriol cream internally.  No one explained the order that they should be used in, bearing in mind they both are nightly and vaginally.  Thanks all..😊

Hello Scorpio and welcome to the forum. It sounds like the advice you have been given is a bit confusing. I personally would use the vagifem nightly and apply the cream to the vagina using your finger. That way the inside and outside has oestrogen. I am sure other members will have different advice. I find using these treatments work better every single night until symptoms improve and not the 2weeks they recommend.

Scorpio700

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 06:42:41 PM »

Thank you very much for your reply…I had also read that some people just apply the Estriol cream to the outside of the vagina, as you say so that internal and external are covered.  The Estriol has an applicator that you fill with cream and insert internally according to the leaflet.  As I am new to,
 both I am not sure if the two can both be used internally nightly at the same time?…

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 06:54:09 PM »

I would not use both internally at the same time. I would try vagifem and see if it agrees with you first. If it does then that is great and you only need to use the cream for the outside. I know when I first used anything it stung me as the skin was so raw.

Haydo

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 07:04:11 PM »

I agree with Flossieteacake.  Use vagifem internally and the estriol cream on the outside.  Perhaps start off just using the vagifem for a couple of nights to see if you have any reaction, before applying the estriol cream.  Otherwise, if you have a reaction, which hopefully you will not, you won’t know which one you are reacting to.  You might find the estriol cream burns initially, in which case try mixing it with a vaginal moisturiser. 

Scorpio700

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 08:04:20 PM »

Thank you….I have already done 5 days of the vagifem on its own,as I didn’t realise the estriol had to be used with it.  I know I am fine with the vagifem,no burning or anything.  I rang the pharmacy about the estriol as I thought they had made a mistake by giving me both products, and they said they were often prescribed to be used together,although the GP or the pharmacy didnt give clear instructions and both say internal use,nightly…

To me ,you and flossieteacake both make sense about using vagifem inside and estriol outside,as both areas need the treatment to bring back the moisture and plumpness of the dry tissues…just wish the medics/pharmacy would explain about things that I’ve never used before…

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 08:09:07 PM »

It is bad they did not explain how you were meant to use the items. If you were to read the leaflet then you would have assumed to insert both. Luckily you found this forum and asked for advice. It is great the vaigfem is agreeing with you.

Scorpio700

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 08:25:00 PM »

Thank you for your advice…it does seem on other posts that people are using vagifem internally and estriol as an external moisturiser…is estriol also called ovestin, as I see that mentioned a lot on posts.? 🥰

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 08:31:18 PM »

Thank you for your advice…it does seem on other posts that people are using vagifem internally and estriol as an external moisturiser…is estriol also called ovestin, as I see that mentioned a lot on posts.? 🥰

They are both oestrogen creams but different brands. I found this information:

What is the difference between Ovestin and estriol?
Whilst Ovestin® 0.1% cream is 10 times stronger, the amount of cream delivered per application is 10 times less than that of Estriol 0.01% cream meaning that both creams deliver an identical amount of Estriol (0.5mg) per application.

Floradora

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 08:55:48 PM »

I use fair bit of local estrogen to keep on top of symptoms. Mostly I alternate the vagifem with the cream. Twice a week I use both and I insert the vagifem pessary high up as far as possible. I then use the applicator to insert the cream but as low down as possible. Hope that makes sense!

Scorpio700

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 09:38:30 PM »

Thank you…Tonight I’m going to use the vagifem internally and try the estriol externally to start with and see if I have any reaction to the estriol as I now know the vagifem is comfortable for me…thank you all for your advice,will see how I get on over the next ten days with both…fingers crossed!!..🤞🤞