Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Patch Theory  (Read 792 times)

BohoChick

• First Flush
Patch Theory
« on: May 12, 2022, 04:35:26 PM »

I am a new user of estrogen patches - I started a once-weekly patch three weeks ago.

I have a theory about these patches from a pharmacologic standpoint. 

I don't think these patches (at least the once-weekly ones) do what they say with regards to maintaining a steady dosage.  Like - at all.  I know that in any medication regimen, it's going to be difficult to establish a truly levelized therapy - but I do think that these estrogen patches may be fudging some of the number more than other types of transdermal medications.

For the first ~24hrs after I apply a new patch, I have a varying number of symptoms, but I am noticing a pattern after my third patch.  I apply my new patches on a Friday evening, and I spend the entirety of Friday night and Saturday with VERY sore, stiff legs.  I hobble around the house like an old lady.  I also notice throughout the course of Saturday and Sunday, my vaginal dryness/VA and mood also show very marked improvement.  On Friday nights after applying the new patch, I actually almost feel a bit high.

I acknowledge that HRT seems to be complicated by the fact that the placebo-effect is quite high with it as well, but I am definitely NOT imagining the sore leg thing. 

I have also noticed that - throughout the week - it's almost like my body will "hit" a new reservoir of estrogen in the patch and I start feeling pretty good again. 

It's really weird but......personally, I don't see how these patches can maintain a steady dosage.  Especially the older generic types that don't have the funding behind them of the big drug companies to innovate new delivery systems. 

Thoughts?

Perinowpost

Re: Patch Theory
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 05:06:00 PM »

Have you thought about switching to one of the twice weekly patches such as evorel? I can vouch that they are extremely consistent x

Nas

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 07:11:43 PM »

What once weekly patch are you on?
I have only heard of the the twice weekly ones.

Floradora

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 08:27:59 PM »

Femseven is a once weekly one Nas. I tried it years ago but it made me itch and kept falling off! The Femsevensequi and Femsevenconti have the same progestogen in them as the Mirena coil -levonorgestrel.  It was the very first HRT I was on actually but I didn’t get on with the progesterone in it as well as the itching x

Floradora

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 08:34:20 PM »

Bohochick, I did see a study somewhere about the pharmacokinetics of transdermal patches and it did show that with the 7 day ones there was quite a boost in the first day, then fairly steady for about the next 4 or 5 days and then it dropped quite sharply at the end so that could well be what you are experiencing. I was put on a Femseven 7 day one by my gynecologist years ago and he told me to change it every 6th day due to levels tailing off quite a bit towards the end of the 7 days.

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 10:23:02 AM »

I change my Evorel every 3 rd day and that helped a lot . I def know when I’m a day late .

I changed from Estradot to Evorel as felt better on Evorel but maybe Evorel has a better distribution rate ?

Perinowpost

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 11:47:14 AM »

I do the same Winterose x