Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT and osteoporosis  (Read 894 times)

Floradora

HRT and osteoporosis
« on: May 09, 2022, 04:49:32 PM »

I’d be interested if anyone can share their experiences of HRT either improving or maintaining T scores from DEXA bone density scans. In January I fell and broke my ankle and had a DEXA scan to check my bone density. I previously had a scan 5 years ago after breaking a wrist. I was really disappointed to find out that in spite of being on HRT (Femoston conti ) the whole time and doing lots of exercise etc, my bone density has still declined over 5 years- not by a huge amount but still a decline. Presumably not as much bone loss as it would have been if I had not been on HRT at all but still a surprise. I have a fair few risk factors for low bone density /osteoporosis and so I’ve decided to up my HRT to a medium dose to try and see if that makes a difference. Femoston conti dose doesn’t go any higher than the one I’m on unfortunately as I get on very well with it. So I’ve decided to trial an Evorel 50/Provera combination and see how I get on with that to get a bit more estrogen. I don’t generally do well with higher doses of hormones but will see how I get on. I will prob do half a patch and work up from there !

Limpy

Re: HRT and osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 05:21:58 PM »

The Evorel 50/Provera combination has to be worth a try Floradora. See how you get on with it.
What HRT are you taking now?

Floradora

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 05:33:43 PM »

Hi Strongkat. I’m taking Femoston Conti which is only 1mg estradiol. It doesn’t come in a higher dose unfortunately.  The Femoston is classed as low dose and the 50mcg patch is supposedly medium dose so hopefully I’ll get on ok with it.

laszla

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 09:09:49 PM »

I would look at adding testosterone

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 11:22:39 PM »

There's a recent thread saying provera can damage bones so not recommended for post meno. I don't know how it damages them but would be worth investigating. Can you tolerate any other progestogen?

Floradora

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 07:46:10 AM »

Thanks Sheila99 . I can only tolerate dydrogesterone and medroxyprogesterone acetate (Provera). There is evidence that long term use of the high dose contraceptive Depo -Provera can reduce bone density in premenopausal women. Mainly because the method of contraception is to suppress ovulation thereby obviously causing long term suppression of estrogen levels which as we know it’s the loss of estrogen that causes the reduction in bone density. I’m not aware of any studies regarding use of MPA as part of continuous combined HRT in post menopausal women causing reduction in bone density. Indeed the HRT oral preparation Indivina is a combination of estradiol and medroxyprogesterone and it’s licensed as a treatment to prevent osteoporosis! The British Menopause Society has Provera listed as one of its recommended treatments as part of continuous combined post menopausal treatment so I think I’ll go with that.