Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anyone else get yellowy-green vaginal mucous?  (Read 2687 times)

Evangelista

Anyone else get yellowy-green vaginal mucous?
« on: May 09, 2022, 08:48:38 PM »

Evening All, and apologies for one of those slightly yukky questions...

For a number of months now I've been getting a yellowy/green mucous kind of vaginal 'discharge', though having had a lifetime of thrush prior to perimenopause, I do hesitate to call it a discharge. There is no smell, no taste, no irritation, just a pretty regular presence for the week to ten days or so after my 'period', which isn't really a period. A few times each day either when going for a pee, or randomly while up and about, I get a string of quite thick and coloured mucous.  It's not quite enough to warrant a panty liner as it is mostly dealt with when I go to the loo, but it's out of the norm for me.

I mentioned it to the GP about 6 weeks ago and she said she would get me to do a swab for thrush (which I am absolutely confident it is not) but then the swab got forgotten about during the rest of the consultation and I never revisited it.

I am on 2 sprays of Lenzetto and I take Utrogestan for 12 days a month. After some prolonged and unexplained bleeding late last year (which happened before I changed to this HRT regime) I haven't had a proper period since. I usually have a couple of days spotting, a day where it looks like it might turn to light bleeding, a couple of days spotting and then I get this mucous, which most days looks like it should be in a hanky! I had an abdo ultrasound to check the cause of the bleeding and it found nothing untoward, so I was referred to the gynae clinic, as well as being referred for testosterone (at my request)

My bleeds, such as they are, always start while I'm taking the utro, which makes me think my own latent hormones are still busy, and after 6 months on this regime I've recently had a few weeks of feeling on the edge of tearful and as if I'm having to work hard to keep control, whether of tears or of snappy anger.  Not sure if I need to tweak something, but I finally have the gynae/meno clinic appointment on Friday so I don't want to mess about before then, just wondered whether anyone else has had this kind of mucous issue?

On its own its not a huge issue, apart from wanting to know it's not anything serious.  On the occasion I might feel like sex, it is a bit off-putting to wonder what my OH might think if a big blob of greeny-coloured stuff appears (sorry!) but he is very understanding and probably wouldn't be that fazed by it.

About 5 years ago the nurse doing my smear spotted a cyst on the edge of the cervix, but the GP looked and said it was nothing, and I mentioned it at the next smear test and it was apparently not very visible. Don't know if that's at all relevant.

I have very early signs of VA and have done the loading dose of Vagifem and now use Ovestin every 4 days and it sorts out my symptoms, which are pretty much external at the moment.

So anyway, if any other ladies need a hanky in their knickers, I would be most interested, if that doesn't sound too weird!!

Thanks

Ecl

Re: Anyone else get yellowy-green vaginal mucous?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 09:50:22 PM »

Yes I too have a more yellow/green colour ever since I started vagifem. Haven’t really thought much about it to be honest, just assumed it was the vagifem doing it’s thing

Evangelista

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 09:55:16 PM »

That's interesting. I need to check, but I think I was already getting the mucous before I started the vagifem because I think I only got the prescription for it at the consultation where I mentioned it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 08:32:56 AM »

Morning.  If it is odourless then I don't think that you need worry too much, it may be the remnants of an almost period: for me those smears were brown. 

If it's cyclic it may be simply 'normal for you'.  Keep as close an eye as you can ;-) and if worried, let your Practice Nurse know who may take a swab.