Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hormonal birth control pill alongside HRT....Permitted?  (Read 1251 times)

Vicky81

Hormonal birth control pill alongside HRT....Permitted?
« on: May 11, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »

Hello All

Could i just ask....has anyone had experience of using the contraceptive birth control pill alongside being on HRT?

Is this permitted? I will indeed ask my clinic but wondered if anyone had done this? I am just wanting to stop these horrid anxiety symptoms and wondered if the pill could stop the fluctuations?

Flossieteacake

Re: Hormonal birth control pill alongside HRT....Permitted?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 07:45:45 AM »

I take destrogel along with HRT. One menopause DR said I could take 2 for the progesterone part.

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 07:53:35 AM »

Yeah, I think it's just the progesterone part. If you struggle with the prog, it might not be the best idea.

Has anyone mentioned just taking a combined pill Vicky??? That's the first thing the nhs meno clinic wanted me to try - for stability. Maybe worth a thought. Is there one you've taken before and liked??

That's the thing. The hrt is topping up your own, so if yours are fluctuating, it can still be problematic. Although, from all I've read, the high dose estrogen your consultant has prescribed, is most probably an attempt to suppress your cycle like the pill would.

Perhaps the pill would be a better fit for you right now. I'm surprised your clinic never tried it first.  :o

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »

You can take the mini pill ( progesterone only ) alongside hrt. Not sure about the combined contraceptive pill . I think CrispyChick is right that in younger women you can take the combined contraceptive pill instead of hrt in the hope of overriding your own cycle . x

Vicky81

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 11:15:59 AM »

thanks all so much.

I am waiting for a call back to ask....so i will ask about the combined pill.....I will try ANYTHING!!!! XXXX

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 12:42:37 PM »

You really need to give the hrt a chance to work before switching again. I know it’s hard….. I’ve been there….but you need to stay on one dosage and type of hrt before changing anything. x

Vicky81

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »

Yes i guess you are right hun , it was just a thought out of curiosity really xxx