Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Femoston 1/10 - How will I know when I actually reach the menopause?  (Read 809 times)

EmmaU

• First Flush

Hello :) I have been taking Femoston 1/10 for just over 2 years, having previously tried patches that I didn't get on with, having finally persuaded my nurse practitioner that the benefits of HRT would outweigh the risks!

At the time I was still having periods, albeit infrequently (anything from four months to seven months max apart) so I was prescribed Femoston 1/10 and therefore I have a bleed to a greater or lesser degree each month.  I recently had a telephone consultation with the Nurse Practitioner for a prescription reissue, and I asked her how I will know when I am no longer peri-menopausal and have entered the menopause, as I would prefer to switch to a form of HRT (possibly Femoston Conti?) that doesn't bring on a bleed.

She told me that the bleeding isn't a withdrawal bleed caused by the HRT but is because my periods haven't stopped naturally yet, but I didn't think this was the case, it's not how it was explained to me by the previous Nurse Practitioner that prescribed it originally? I certainly wasn't having a period every 4 weeks before I started the HRT! I'm very confused about the whole thing, but I'm not sure I'm the only one!

I'm 54, which may or may not be relevant, and I've been Peri-Menopausal for about 10 years

Dotty

Hi the advice is that you can try a Conti regime after being on Sequi for 12 months.x

Floradora

The nurse practitioner is incorrect. The bleed almost certainly will be a withdrawal bleed given your age and dwindling periods prior to starting the Femoston 1/10. You can try the Femoston conti now and may well be bleed free. If you continually have breakthrough bleeding then it’s possible your periods haven’t stopped but you could certainly give a conti regime a go now and you won’t know until you try x

EmmaU

• First Flush

Thank you both! Back on the phone I go!