Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estriol cream v vagifem & how to change over  (Read 1565 times)

Scampidoodle

Estriol cream v vagifem & how to change over
« on: April 29, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »

Hi, asking for my mum who is in her 70’s as the medical profession seem to be as much use as a chocolate teapot. Or un-contactable!

She used vagifem for ages no worries until a prolapse op in November when she has to stop for a while and as no one told her to go back on she was off for 3 months.

A few issues with granulation tissue post op led to the prescription of estriol cream. They said it’s stronger than vagifem. Is that true?

This was to help the healing process. Anyway it was a v high dose. Morning and night for 3 weeks, just night for two weeks and now due to go to twice weekly. Problem is she’s had bleeding like a period, sore boobs plus period like cramps the last two weeks. Checked out at hospital - no issues. In my mind this is the estriol cream.

Any experience of this with others?

We are looking to swap her back to vagifem since the original issues have gone. How does she swap back can she just go to twice a week as she’s had the estriol cream (a whopping dose) for the last few weeks or would she need to do the 2 week loading dose again?

Many thanks ladies x

Gracie

Re: Estriol cream v vagifem & how to change over
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 11:09:26 AM »

The cream is obviously proving too much for your mum given those extreme side effects. If she is able to now use vagifem I can't see why she couldn't go straight back to the two a week she was using, which btw is brilliant as I have to use it daily.

Hopefully someone more experienced will be along to help further with advice.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:12:22 AM »

Thankyou Gracie for your reply. Really appreciate that. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:54:15 AM »

I would have a break between products for 24 hours then use the 'vagifem' every night for 5.  Then alternate nights to see how she feels.  Some ladies require it nightly, others cope with every 4/th/6th/7th night.  It's a bit Trial and Error which is where a mood/food/symptom diary might be useful.

Let us know how she gets on.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 08:27:31 AM »

Vagifem contains estradiol and estriol cream is well, just that estriol. They are not comparable. There are two different concentrstions of estriol. The generic estriol cream and Ovestin which is 10 x stronger. The dosage of each preparation is worked out so that the amount of oestrogen needed to work is equivalent.

However a cream is easier to actually apply to tissue so maybe because they prescribed it in larger doses - means that more was getting to where it was needed, but it does look like it was too much.

Good that she was investigated - but what did they look for in order to say no issues?

If she was due to change to twice weekly estriol this means her vaginal tissues should be well oestrogenised and that being the case she should be OK going straight to twice weekly vagifem - but the doc should be able to advise on this too? She should not need a loading dose.

However some women do need to reload now and again if vaginal dryness etc issues return.

Hurdity x

Scampidoodle

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 06:31:06 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. Due to the bleeding her gp referred her straight to the gynaecology unit at the hospital and she was examined and scanned. Just to rule out the bleeding from a more sinister cause.

She’s due to see gynae again Wednesday so I’ve asked her to see if she can just swap to vagifem. Her emotions are really up and down and she’s  a bit crampy. Bleeding has ceased. At the age of 74 she just feels incredibly ‘hormonal’ after being ok before, it’s been quite scary really. X

Gracie

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »

Once your mum gets back on Vagifem I am sure she will be ok. Too high a dose of oestrogen can cause this kind of side effect and something a 75 year old does not want or need!

I was referred to a breast clinic because of the side effects of too much oestrogen in the HRT I was taking, I came off it and the problem went away.
But its a worry when you are going through it all!