Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Has anyone been referred to a gynae via their GP?  (Read 878 times)

Gilla999

Has anyone been referred to a gynae via their GP?
« on: April 29, 2022, 05:06:37 PM »

The puzzling / annoying / odd experiences with GPs over meno continue! As it's been a year now since starting HRT and I've been feeling a bit rubbish the last few months / know from a Medichecks blood test that my Estrogen has gone down, I thought it was worth a GP appointment to get their take on increasing my HRT or not. I also thought they might agree to actually test my Estrogen level which they never have before.

Spoke to a young ish male doctor on the phone (no face to face appointments these days) and he literally could not get me off the phone quick enough - was probably on the call for no more than 4 minutes. He easily referred me for an Estrogen blood test (I had to double check what he was testing me for as he didn't specify) and then he said he was referring me to a gynae to ask about increasing the HRT or not. This is a first for me... has anyone ever been referred under the NHS to any kind of doc relating to meno, instead of the GP giving advice? I assume the wait to see someone will be months or years anyway.

It really is total pot luck what response or course of action you get depending on which doctor you speak to isn't it!

Flossieteacake

Re: Has anyone been referred to a gynae via their GP?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 05:46:22 PM »

I think a lot of GPs are clueless about menopause clinics and assume a gyno will be able to help. I think it would be far more helpful for you to see a menopause clinic. How horrible the GP was so unhelpful and just wanted to rush you. Is it possible to send a message and say you want to see a menopause clinic not a gyno?

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 05:51:08 PM »

Can you even see a menopause clinic on the NHS? (I have private medical insurance but there is a blanket ban on anything to do with menopause).

Still a bit stunned I've been referred to a gynae for asking if I'm OK to increase my HRT  ;D

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 06:14:19 PM »

Can you even see a menopause clinic on the NHS? (I have private medical insurance but there is a blanket ban on anything to do with menopause).

Still a bit stunned I've been referred to a gynae for asking if I'm OK to increase my HRT  ;D

Oh yes, you can! I am sorry you did not know that. I see Chelsea & Westminster menopause clinic on the NHS. I have phone appointments which I prefer.

I guess the DR thought, 'womens bits? Must need a gyno'!

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 06:16:20 PM »

Wow, I did not even know that!

Yes exactly... women's bits!! Run away!!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »

There are nhs meno clinics but there's usually a long wait. Gynaes often know zilch about meno. Sometimes an ignorant male gp is best, as long as you convince them you know what you're talking about they will prescribe what you want (that's how I got gel/utro when the 'expert' would prescribe anything as long as it was evorel.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 06:39:28 PM »

Menopause isn't an illness which is why insurance probably doesn't cover it.

It would be better to be referred to an NHS Menopause Clinic, many GPs aren't aware that they exist which is why they refer to a gynaecologist.

Let us know how you get on.