Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bleeding and on Patches  (Read 7353 times)

CaraLB

• First Flush
Re: Bleeding and on Patches
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 01:10:58 AM »

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well and coping in this crazy old world we live in. I really love this forum, the way everyone supports each other. Rather than inventing the wheel I found the post below about bleeding while on HRT. I seriously need help and would really appreciate your wise advice. I tried talking to my partner but he doesn't really understand! I'm 55 and started conti HRT (Estradiol patch 50 and utragestan 100mg) 1 year ago while I was peri-menopausal. I have bled every single day since then. I keep getting told by my GP it's going to settle and it has somewhat - into a brown/black daily discharge that's a bit clotty. It's very messy and depressing. It's put me off sex (well, that and the dry vagina!) and the positive body image is basically nil. I increased my patch to 100 and kept bleeding. I have had an internal ultrasound and a pipette and everything inside is fine. No cysts or fibroids or anything amiss. My gynaecologist suggested a mirena? I'm wondering if I: take off the patch and let a natural big bleed happen; or just take progesterone for a little while without the patch; or continue taking conti hrt but take some transexamic acid tablets as well to turn off the bleeding. I have some from a few years ago when bleeding heavily for three months put me in ICU. Has anyone else experienced the daily brown blood phenomenon? Would be so interested in your thoughts and experiences, Cala XX

Nas

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »

Hi,
I feel your pain.
I’ve been on Conti HRT for a good couple of years, but since starting the patch and utrogestan, I’ve just had bleed after bleed. So, I swapped to femeston Conti oral HRT at the end of January this year, had a bit of spotting, but nothing big.

I then started to add a spray of lenzetto oestrogen to the mix last week, as I felt the oral Oestrogen wasn’t sufficient. Well blow me down, bleeding again!

Like you, I’ve had biopsies, scans etc and all has been fine.

I’ve been told by gynecology that a coil with Oestrogen should be the next thing to try, but am reluctant I’m case it makes things worse!

You could try the coil, or swap to a different regime completely?
Are you definitely post menopausal?
Maybe switch to a cyclical regime instead? That way, you get a more predictable bleed.

In hoping my bleed is linked to the additional hormones I’ve added this last week. If not, I’m questioning whether I’m even post menopausal!

Really hope you get sorted, it’s a nightmare i know.

:)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:58:26 AM by Nas »

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »

I agree with Nas in that have you considered using a cyclical regime? I didn't get on with conti - the continuous progesterone made me bleed constantly - so I swapped back to cyclical which gave me a predictable light bleed once a month and made me feel much better. Were you still having periods when you started the conti? Some doctors go by age rather than your actual menopause stage thinking that over 54 you can use conti but many women do have problems with the bleeding. Of course bleeding within the first six months is a normal side effect but to still be experiencing this after a year is very annoying for you.

As for the dry vagina - are you also on a topical oestrogen? I am on both full HRT plus vagifem and without both it's like a desert down there  ;D

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 09:14:59 PM »

Sounds like a good decision and also pleased that you're using the cream. Let us know how you get on.  :)

CaraLB

• First Flush
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 09:20:54 PM »

Hi Taz, as you can see my techy skills are nil. I think I've deleted a reply?? Anyway it's not showing up. Do you know what the difference is between vagiferm and overstin? Perhaps it's just a branding thing (I'm in NZ). Always good to know what all the option are for the 'desert" situation!!!

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 09:54:02 PM »

Ah yes you have  ;D I look like I'm randomly replying to nobody  ;D

I've only used Vagifem as I liked the pessary idea rather than cream. I think ovestin is Estriol and vagifem Estradiol. Estradiol is stronger I believe but I'm not sure what dosing is used for ovestin so it might have the same effect. Some women use both. The vagifem more for internally and a small amount of the cream for external.

Not sure that's very helpful  :-\

Taz x

CaraLB

• First Flush
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 10:43:50 PM »

It is helpful, thank you. So nice to know we're not alone in this!!  :)

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 11:57:08 PM »

Yes. Never alone on here.

Taz x  :hug:

CaraLB

• First Flush
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2022, 04:23:52 AM »

Hi again, just an update. I ended up getting a mirena. I've stayed on the HRT too - 100 patch and 100 utragestan. I can happily report the bleeding has almost gone. My gyny said to taper off the utragestan after 4 weeks as i will be getting enough from the Mirena. And the Mirena itself - no cramps or pain, just a few kgs weight gain which is a small price to pay for the reduction in bleeding. I'm hoping it will eventually disappear. Again, thanks for your messages X
Pages: 1 [2]