Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Morning pounding heart/flutters/anxiety  (Read 1361 times)

Unicorn

Morning pounding heart/flutters/anxiety
« on: April 27, 2022, 08:55:26 AM »

Hi all 🥰 huge apologies for writing again!

I'm 48 and I'm suffering awfully from the above, particularly worse in the morning 😒 the thing is, I really don't get it as I am not actually anxious! My face then goes hot.  I've had this on and off for about 2 years

I'm on 100mg Sertraline, which I have been for about 18 months and 7 weeks ago, I started Sandrena gel and utrogestan.  Week 2 to 4 was great, but now for the past week, this has come back 😒

Spoke to my GP yesterday, and she said that I haven't been on the hrt long enough yet, so won't increase.  The Sertraline isn't really doing anything for this though!  She wants to do blood tests for different things, an ECG (I have been examined and had tests from a cardiologist) and weigh me.... eeek!

I've tried all sorts, magnesium, breathing, supplements etc to no avail.

Is this kind of like a hot flush too? I'm not sure.... I have anxiety before peri, but this feels a bit different.

Would a change of AD help? Or shall I sit tight for now? I find it hard to function xxx

Unicorn

Re: Morning pounding heart/flutters/anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 09:22:00 AM »

Please can someone advise? I'm in bits 😩 x

Suzysheep

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »

I’m sorry this is happening to you.
I had this, along with crippling anxiety, when I came off HRT.
It sounds like your cortisol levels are very high when you wake up.
Could you ask your dr for a test?
Do you feel that the sertraline works well otherwise?

I found getting straight up and moving really helped… I did a bit of jogging on the spot, dancing… walked around the garden.. that sort of thing.

Unicorn

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 09:42:22 AM »

Hi Suzy 👋  and thank you 🥰

I think the Sertraline is working otherwise, im not sure to be honest! I just want this gone now... I can't cope with it anymore.  What can you do for high cortisol levels in the morning? Xxx

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »

Hi Unicorn

Unfortunately the symptoms of high vs low cortisol can be similar in terms of anxiety.
The best way to know is to do a saliva cortisol and Dhea test.
This will test your cortisol throughout the day to show when you are experiencing high or lows.
There are several companies that supply the tests online x

Unicorn

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 09:56:59 AM »

Hi Marchlove and huge thanks ❤

To be honest, and no disrespect at all, I feel so fed up of fiddling with this, that and another, the thought of doing a test for cortisol as well just adds more complication to my mind 😓 if it's high or low, what can help? I just feel very lost with it all xxx

VictoryV

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »

Get out and do something, sitting in it waiting for replies isn’t going to get you being active, accomplishing things and keeping you busy will. Tidy the garden, help someone else, prep dinner, join clubs, go swimming, go walking, join a gym. Doing something is better than just sitting doing nothing.
Do the jobs you put off, get organised etc.

Unicorn

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 10:08:10 AM »

Thanks Victoria 🥰 I already keep myself as busy when I can... I am certainly not one for sitting about xx

Marchlove

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 10:22:10 AM »

Ah Unicorn I feel for you I really do as I’ve been there.
Yes the thought of doing another test is somewhat daunting, but it’s there as an option in the future if you feel up to it.
Basically though you take certain supplements to treat high and others to treat low.
A simple thing you could do is if you take magnesium at night to help with sleep you could try taking some first thing in the morning. Magnesium lowers cortisol which is why you usually take it at night, so you could test it out in the morning to see if it makes a difference. X

Unicorn

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 10:31:09 AM »

Thank Marchlove 🥰 I'll try taking some at night xx my sleep is good though, thank goodness!

Just asking, how did you get better from this Marchlove? Xxx
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 10:35:34 AM by Unicorn »

Marchlove

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 10:46:54 AM »

I improved because I took the test and then consulted with a naturopath who understood this issue and advised me on supplements and just as importantly lifestyle and diet x

Unicorn

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 11:11:38 AM »

Thank you Marchlove 😊  that's really interesting and I'm glad it helped.

Im ok as soon as I wake up, some racing heart, I get straight up, then it peaks about an hour being upright and pottering around... sometimes, it goes away for a week or two, and I feel better and think I have cracked it.  I don't notice a particular pattern anymore....Weird!

I did have a quick look at tests... is it all very expensive? And I'm just wondering, because I live in the depths of mid Wales, I don't know where my nearest naturopath is, if we even have one! I suppose GP's wouldn't test for this... I'm having another blood test next week to check for all sorts (not hormones, my GP said it would be pointless).

Are you on HRT Marchlove, if you don't mind me asking? Xx

Marchlove

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 11:30:17 AM »

Unfortunately no the Gp’s don’t do these tests which is a great shame.
The test itself isn’t that expensive and with some reading and educating yourself it would be possible to manage the issue yourself to a large degree.

The fact that it doesn’t occur on a daily basis shows that you do have good’ish adrenal function and probably only needs a few adjustments.

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Yes I do take HRT, that part though is still work in progress!

It’s really just another way of looking at things if for instance your hrt is not proving too successful after a certain amount of time and you can’t get yourself balanced.  X

Unicorn

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »

Hi Marchlove! Thanks so much, i really appreciate it 🥰

It occurs weeks at a time, then goes for a couple of weeks.... strange stuff.

I could cope with the other bits.... sore joints, tiredness etc, just the horrible pounding heart and hot face I can't deal with, it makes me feel so ill, no appetite, sometimes run to the loo etc.  It's a hoot (not).

The GP didn't seem concerned that my hrt wasn't really working yet, so I suppose there is still hope on that one 😁 I keep writing on here for reassurance.  Sometimes I think, maybe it's just anxiety, but I know that I had been good for years on Citalopram, then hot sweats, face heating up for no reason, heart palps  for no reason etc. Came in about 3 years ago.

Thanks again xxx

Mayflower

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 09:47:35 PM »

I was wondering if possibly your symptoms could relate to your diet. What I mean is in terms of either some sort of food intolerance or even to high histamine levels.
I had similar issues over a long period of time and eventually found that it related to my diet and many of my symptoms subsided once I knew which foods to avoid.
It might be worth a try to note if you feel worse over a period of days after eating certain foods.