Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Another update...  (Read 3123 times)

Unicorn

Re: Another update...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 03:24:36 PM »

Hi Vicky! I totally know where you are coming from ❤ all my love to you, it's a vile thing to go through this peri malarkey.

Just to say, I spoke to a lovely GP today, as I was panicking that I wouldn't feel better, as I have been on my HRT now for 6 weeks.  I did feel better week 2 to 4 but that could have been my natural hormones balancing, rather than the HRT.  She said to me that it was too early yet and not to increase just yet and wait a few more weeks, as some of the ladies have said on here.  It is great that you hear that some ladies feel better after a week or a month,  but scary you're not feeling the same!
My GP made me feel better and said there was no point in testing my hormones, as I was on hrt anyway... she goes with just the symptoms.  This actually made me feel better ❤

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is it is a good idea to stay on one dose for a good while to see how you get on.  She also wanted me to have a blood test, another ECG and my weight taken (I'd rather she didn't do my weight... I haven't weighed myself since 1975 😁😁)

Much love and we will get through this ❤❤
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 03:29:22 PM by Unicorn »

ATB

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 03:24:40 PM »

I’m so concerned about others reading this I’m going to keep repeating it: NO DOCTOR WOULD ADVISE THIS. It is absolutely not what anyone would do. I don’t care what you say. Very few women in the world are on that dose and they don’t get put on it after a week. It’s simply not true.

Vicky81

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2022, 03:45:04 PM »

ATB thats fine hun I'm not here to argue....

Unicorn- sorry I did get your private message thank you so much sweets! Yes il see how I go...and will let you know ....thanks for being lovely x

Curlygirl

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2022, 03:59:05 PM »

Vicky, just wanted to send you all my love, hugs and best wishes ❤️

I absolutely know how hard all this is when you’re new to all this, and we all come to this forum for advice and support from the many experienced ladies on here

You are having advice from your consultant regarding the HRT and from your GP regarding the AD’s

You know your own body and what is working or not working for you and as you go through this journey you’ll learn lots more I’m sure of it

I’m sure you’ll find a routine that works for you and all will settle down

Keep posting on here for advice and giving us updates as it helps the rest of us going through the same

Much love ❤️

Vicky81

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »

Awwww thanks curlygirl! Lovely to chat as always! Xxx

Curlygirl

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »

Awwww thanks curlygirl! Lovely to chat as always! Xxx

❤️

ATB

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 04:34:09 PM »

I’m not here to argue either, as you know I’ve sent plenty of messages to you helping you.

I am posting here to get help and give help, but in a safe and careful way. If something is obviously very serious and dangerous, I think it’s our duty to say so. There are desperate people here and giving dangerous advice can lead other women to a bad place. If you’re not following the guidance about increasing estrogen then I don’t think you should share what you’re doing. That’s my opinion.

Kathleen

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 04:58:27 PM »

Hello Vicky81.

I have been following your story and I completely understand your desperation to feel well again.

I am in no position to comment on the medical advice that you have been given but I wanted to send you hugs and I hope that you will keep us updated on your progress.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Vicky81

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2022, 05:23:40 PM »

Kathleen thank you so very much...just trying to get well that's all. Your kind message has made my night.

Lots of love to you xxx

Gnatty

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 05:32:28 PM »

Another thought, my understanding was that hrt contains much much less oestrogen than that of birth control pills. So surely even at the level Vicki is taking it won't be as much as if she had chosen to take a birth control pill?
Glad you are having a good day Vicki, you certainly could do with one!
X

Vicky81

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 05:54:48 PM »

Gnatty- thank you so much! That's what I've read many times too...thanks for your support xxxx

ATB

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 06:05:41 PM »

Gnatty: In short, no. Long version:

Why they might prescribe the contraceptive pill instead of HRT:

During perimenopause you’re getting menopausal symptoms (like hot flashes, night sweats, and so forth), you’re still producing a fair level of hormones on your own. And, unlike typical HRT which supplements  hormones in your body, birth control pills literally take over.

They override your own hormonal production — in effect, signaling your ovaries to take a breather and stop producing estrogen and progesterone — and supplant it with the hormones in the pills themselves.

In other words, you get just what is in the pill. You’re not adding hormones on top of what you’re producing on your own, but literally replacing them.

This can be a welcome relief in stabilizing your hormones during perimenopause — a time when fluctuating hormones can be the source of problems.

It’s also a key reason why birth control pills are often prescribed if you’re perimenopausal and suffering with symptoms: In perimenopause, you’re still producing non-menopausal (that is, higher) levels of estrogen and progesterone on your own, so adding more hormones (as you would if you went on standard HRT) might actually make you feel worse.
Your hormone levels are usually fluctuating a great deal in perimenopause, so there could be days when HRT would provide you with too much… and wind up causing symptoms from excess estrogen or progesterone.

All in all, you’ll get a set, steady amount of hormones that won’t fluctuate according to your own ovarian production

_____

This is why we need good doctors who advise us, so we don’t get misinformed. Don’t treat HRT like ‘the pill’, they’re different.

Hurdity

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2022, 08:01:42 AM »

To add to ATB's explanation - this is the reason why I suggest to younger women that they might consider taking the CCP instead of HRT especially in very early peri-menopause or even before peri-menopause has officially begun (sccording to the medical definition) - and in fact did just that yesterday on another thread.

The other important point is that the "standard" combined contraceptive pills given to much younger women in their fertile years do contain a stronger synthetic type of oestrogen - often one called "Ethinyl estradiol". Some women continue to take this throughout what would be their menopausal years - although it is generally advised not to take pills containing this synthetic oestrogen after a certain age due to clot/stroke risks etc.

Instead, two other combined contraceptive pills have been developed - QLAIRA and ZOELY which contain the bio-identical estradiol  - the same oestrogen our bodies produce - and this can be taken to a greater age than the synthetic ones and I think docs can apply flexibility to this too.

This is discussed on the main MM website here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php

It may even mean that ADs are not required, once the hormones are stabilised - because the dramatic fluctuations are eliminated.

Another article about perimenopause and hormone turmoil is also helpful:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2022, 08:06:17 AM »

Also to add that VERY high dose of oestrogen can also suppress the cycle - which I think is what the Studd regime advocates in some cases of reproductive depression - I haven't looked this up recently but the info is all on his website (if it still exists!)

Hurdity x

Vicky81

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »

Thanks Hurdity xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3