Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Too overweight?  (Read 998 times)

Jogawne

Too overweight?
« on: April 25, 2022, 04:48:30 PM »

I have 4 pumps of oestrogel a day and a utrogestan. I've not had a period for 3 years.
I visited the Dr's today and saw a nurse practitioner, as the HRT just doesn't seem to be working anymore and the anxiety is back.
She did all the checks and told me that I had "just scraped in" to her being able to prescribe it for me due to my weight. I've googled all sorts to see if this is a thing but can't find anything, except that oestrogen tablets aren't recommended, which she did try to give me.
Anyway she put me on evorel conti, which the pharmacist said is less than the dose of oestrogel I currently take and also has the progesterone within the patch. Im happy with the utrogestan. So I won't pay to pick that up and need to see someone else. I just want an oestrogen patch  but lord knows if they can get them.
Thoroughly fed up

Flossieteacake

Re: Too overweight?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 05:19:15 PM »

I am overweight and on Evorel patches. My weight was never mentioned at all. I wonder if this nurse is as clueless as the nurse at my Drs. I am on destrogel which can be taken at any weight. She was nasty to me on my review and said I need to cut back on calories. I am sorry this has happened to you. It is very hurtful. I am sending you a virtual hug.

I would ask for a referral to a menopause clinic. You should not have to put up with this. It is vital you get the right HRT for you and if your current regime is working then I would never change as it is so hard to find the right HRT.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:21:02 PM by Flossieteacake »

Nik2502

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »

Hi

I’m overweight and my local NHS menopause clinic refused to prescribe any sort of HRT for me.  Wouldn’t even entertain it despite me suffering horrifically both physically and psychologically.
Another case of all they see is your size.

Went private and was told as long as you have a patch or gel there is no reason why you can’t have HRT.

X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 06:29:53 PM »

Hi

I’m overweight and my local NHS menopause clinic refused to prescribe any sort of HRT for me.  Wouldn’t even entertain it despite me suffering horrifically both physically and psychologically.

Went private and was told as long as you have a patch or gel there is no reason why you can’t have HRT.

X

I am so sorry this happened to you. How awful.

Jogawne

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 07:25:37 PM »

Hi

X

I'm sorry this happened to you too. You shouldn't have to ho private to get treatment. Are you all dorted now?
X

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 07:34:50 PM »

Evorel conti is half the dose you're on now so you're right there's no point getting it. With or without a weight issues many GPs won't prescribe more than 4 pumps. Could you see a gp and see if they are intransigent as the nurse? You can ask for a referral to an NHS meno clinic but expect a long wait. Other options are private or possibly an email to Dr Currie if they will prescribe based on her recommendation.

Nik2502

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 07:38:18 PM »

Thank you. I’m 90% okay now. Just a few tweaks along the way! X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »

Have you a womb?  That's more important I would have thought when prescribing HRT.  Did the Nurse not suggest speaking to a dietician  :-\.

I would ask for a referral to an NHS Menopause Clinic as well as a dietician, make the NHS work for it's living!  If U are apparently too heavy to have HRT then encouragement should be the way forwards!?!?!

Let us know how you get on?

ATB

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 09:45:47 AM »

There’s nothing to say you can’t be prescribed it at all. That’s very strange to say when it’s not a thing! If she had said, look the risks, that are small, are increased a lot if you are also overweight or obese, then that’s true and fine to say. She may even say, I’m concerned to prescribe it because of it, but she can’t make up a rule that doesn’t exist. How long have you been on HRT? The focus should be on why symptoms are returning . Are you on testosterone? Did they offer you some help with weight loss?