Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: So fed up with this flipping fanjo issue.  (Read 1657 times)

Pixielilac

So fed up with this flipping fanjo issue.
« on: April 23, 2022, 07:18:41 PM »

Does it ever get better? I’m on HRT tablets but after lots of what I thought were UTI’s and lab test shows nothing, was diagnosed VA (which I was diagnosed with about 5 years ago but when I finally got HRT after a couple of years battle with my doc he took me off the Estriol cream) so about 2 months ago had Ovestin for inside but couldn’t get past the burning, next was Estriol cream but half of that ended up in the toilet due to needing a wee about 5 times a night.
Now on Vagirux, done my 2 week loading dose, last used Wednesday night and I was going to use it again tonight as part of the twice a week treatment.
Today I am burning and keep needing a wee, I had to use a panty liner today as tiny bit of leakage and I think the irritate and I was at work and had to keep getting people to come on my checkout (I work in a supermarket) so I could go to the toilet.
It’s been about 2 months of trying different HRT ‘up there’ and I feel like I’m not getting anywhere.
A few days where I think it’s working and then it all goes downhill again.
Is there light at the end of the tunnel as it really doesn’t feel like it at the moment  :(

Joaniepat

Re: So fed up with this flipping fanjo issue.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »

A lot of VA sufferers need more than 2 Vagifem a week. There used to be a 25mcg version, the current version only contains 10 mcg estradiol. The original license for the product was for the 25 mcg version, which is where the 2 per week dose after the 14 day loading comes from. Thus, everyone is being underdosed, both on the loading and the maintenance dose 🤷‍♀️. You can safely use 5 Vagifem per week. Also, there is the Estring which delivers just over 50 mcg estradiol per week.
If you want to use Ovestin or estriol cream just on the labia (in addition to Vagifem internally) and you find it stings, you can mix it with a vaginal moisturiser that you know you tolerate, and that helps lessen the sting while you get used to it.
It can take quite a long time to get on top of VA symptoms, several weeks, or even a few months for some, but it does get better eventually.
JP x

Pixielilac

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 07:48:27 PM »

Thankyou, I will use it a lot more than twice a week, and I have some of the Estriol left so will use that on the outside x

Nas

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 09:31:12 PM »

It’s bloody awful and I really feel for you.

I’ve had the same for 4 weeks now. Mine started since I swapped from patch to 1mg tablets. Ongoing weeing and soreness. Going to the loo more times than I want to right now! Am sick of it.

I’m using vagifem daily and YES moisturiser daily.

I’m also planning on switching to patch again because frankly I’ve had enough.

Get the vagifem up there as often as you can and double the dose if necessary.

Hope it resolves soon x
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 09:33:24 PM by Nas »

Pixielilac

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 10:06:09 PM »

Thankyou, I’m going to use Vagirux maybe every day for the next week and the cream on outside bits x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 10:29:58 PM »

It is an awful condition ,i have never managed on two vagifem a week. I use it every night, plus Ovestin cream and am on sytemic HRT too to deal with it.

Pixielilac

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 11:18:16 PM »

Thankyou for your reply, Vagifem is in and Estriol on my outside bits.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 10:09:03 AM »

Get some up there now.  Another load this evening.  If you feel the need2P take 'nurofen' regularly to ease the nip as the spincter shuts off the urine flow.  GPs still need to learn  :bang:

Nas

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 02:46:03 PM »

Agree with CLKD. VA is a bugger to deal with if it gets out of control.

You need to attack with all the ammunition you have! I have literally shoved half a tube of YES moisture gel up there today. 2 vagifem tonight and a different systemic  oestrogen delivery method.

Hope you feel better soon 🤞

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »

:thankyou:  NAS - because the vaginal area 'feels better' is no reason to stop using! 

Gracie

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 06:14:09 PM »

I thought after nine months of using Vagifem, Ovestin, including moisturiser on a daily basis that I could start to ease off on taking the treatment, perhaps to five times a week.
But its obvious that I definitely need the daily treatment as it doesn’t take much to set the VA off. Anything from a hot bath, treating myself to some nice toiletries instead of the daily use of Aqueous Cream, feeling run down, can all set off the horrible burning.

It took four months of this daily use to feel any relief from the VA symptoms, consequently I am obviously one of those women who have to take treatment on a daily basis.
I honestly don’t believe that taking two Vagifem pessaries twice a week can possibly relieve the symptoms of VA as its such a chronic condition. I throw all ammunition at it so much so that I have named my wotsit Vlad!! 

Floradora

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 01:45:04 PM »

It’s just the pits isn’t it? Honestly the two times a week thing is just hopeless. I use Vagirux every other night and I also bung a load of Ovestin up there a couple of times a week too! Every 3 months I ‘reload’ with using Vagirux every night for 2-3 weeks. I buy additional supplies from online pharmacy as the GP rations everything! You have to work hard to keep on top of it and not let things slide. Def up the dosage until you get on top of things. X

Pixielilac

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 07:07:38 AM »

Thankyou everyone for your replies.
I put 2 vagifem in on Sunday night with my finger  but think one went astray as I could feel it  :o and eventually it fell out after numerous toilet visits in the night.
So last night I used Estriol cream, inside and outside.
I don’t think twice a week is any good, I am going to do every other night at least.

Gracie

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 08:41:29 AM »

Try and get into a regime of using vagifem one every day, and use the oestrogen cream perhaps two or three times a day with moisturiser. It seems to me you need a regular routine every day to get your VA under control and this is the time when you will need to have lots of patience. As you have read from the previous posts, it can take months for the treatment to work because your body is adapting to it, plumping up down there to be precise!

It happens to all of us at some time, losing a tablet because its not pushed up further enough but practice makes perfect :)

Pixielilac

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 08:45:57 AM »

Thankyou, I’ll try what you have suggested x