Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: NHS Shortages. An action plan for MM?  (Read 4872 times)

Jenny j

Re: NHS Shortages. An action plan for MM?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2022, 09:27:24 PM »

Yes

Postmeno3

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2022, 07:34:21 AM »

Just to let you all know that the response so far from Emma has been to direct me to the spread in the Daily Mail. Thanks, everyone.

Hurdity

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2022, 07:50:04 AM »

Thanks postmeno3

Just to say, if you are reading, I see you have left the forum - not sure why, or whether you are following this up - it sounds like a great campaign. Also to say thanks for your message sent yesterday which I just tried to reply to, but couldn't because you've left!

All the very best
Hurdity x

Perinowpost

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2022, 12:18:11 PM »

Postmeno3 please don’t leave because you feel you (maybe) have been fobbed off. It’s a worthy cause and every voice counts - is there a way we can get our views across?x

Cazikins

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2022, 12:17:15 PM »

So sad to see you leave MM Postmeno3, your input will be missed.

I have posted a link elsewhere on the forum for a petition which some may find helpful:

On  29th October 2021, Labour MP Carolyn Harris succeeded in getting HRT costs reduced to a once a year payment in England (an Annual Prepayment Certificate for HRT products). On March 16th, 2022, it was announced that this won't be implemented till April 2023, leaving many women still struggling to pay.

This change needs to be made sooner, along with transparency about the HRT shortages so that women can more easily afford and obtain vital medication.

https://www.menopausemandate.com/sign-the-petition

Uptick

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2022, 04:05:24 PM »

Hi Cazikins, very good, thank you  :)

suzysunday

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2022, 07:41:48 PM »

Next April is unacceptable.  I wish the government had just made HRT free without this strange halfway situation.  How can they even provide a year's supply if there is a shortage. And what about if you have 3 months to try some hrt out for example.  I think it should just be free full stop. And do it quick. 

Amazing grace

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2022, 08:29:38 PM »

I absolutely agree with that suzysunday, what's the point in paying this one off payment for hrt, how will it actually work if you don't get it all in one go, and what if we need to go to different chemist's each time how do you prove you've already paid the one off fee, just pathetic really on the government's part x

Marchlove

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »

This is all part of what Postmeno3 was trying to achieve. A voice from this respected forum that would have real influence, a voice for change x

ChocolateWombat

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2022, 08:42:05 AM »

In my understanding, women will be entitled to a year’s supply of HRT across however many prescriptions are needed.

It won’t be that just 1 prescription for 12 months will be issued.  Those starting out might have a 1 or 3 month supply.  If HRT needs changing at some point, another prescription can be issued.  It will be like the current pre-payment certificate/card but only cover HRT supplies.

The shortage issue is a separate one.

Yes, it needs sorting out too and the shortage issue does seem to be giving some GPs an excuse to only issue smaller than ever prescriptions, but even without shortages, some will only issue monthly prescriptions whilst others will give 6 months on one script, which will mean that person pays 1/6 of the other person.

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2022, 03:29:43 PM »

Thank-you all for raising this important issue, and for your ongoing support of our forum.
This was a statement sent out from Menopause Matters this week about the current HRT supply situation.

HRT Supply Issues
In light of the current media attention around HRT supply issues Menopause Matters' own Dr Currie MBE has issued our view on the current position, which we hope will be helpful to our readers:

"As more women and healthcare professionals are aware that HRT is the most effective treatment for menopausal symptoms and are recognising that for many women, the benefits outweigh any risks, prescriptions are increasing, such that currently supply is outstripping demand. This is understandably causing much distress but is hoped to be a short term problem. See statement below from the British Menopause Society, with links to useful resources.

"The British Menopause Society has issued an update on HRT supply to provide guidance to BMS members and clinical practitioners on the current availability of HRT Products.

"Besins Healthcare (UK) Ltd has advised that it has experienced exceptionally high demand for Oestrogel over recent months and this has resulted in shortages of availability. Besins expects this to be a short-term issue and anticipates that supplies will be available to local wholesaler branches soon.

"The BMS advises women who are experiencing difficulty in obtaining Oestrogel to consider equivalent alternative HRT preparations. This could include Sandrena gel (0.5mg or 1mg) or Lenzetto spray preparations.

"Prescribers should consider using equivalent preparations to those that their patients are currently using. If an exact match is not possible, prescribers can seek guidance available on the BMS website to clarify equivalent doses."

Read BMS Update on HRT Supply in full...https://thebms.org.uk/news/british-menopause-society-update-on-hrt-supply/

Read more about equivalent preparations...https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/15-BMS-TfC-HRT-preparations-and-equivalent-alternatives-01D.pdf

Read more about HRT types, doses and regimens https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/hrt-types-doses-and-regimens/

You can also visit the Menopause Matters  Decision Tree http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/tree.php

Menopause Matters and The British Menopause Society, which I work very closely with being a trustee and past Chair, are fully supportive of appointment of an HRT tsar and look forward to working closely with her to resolve the situation.

I hope that this is helpful and provides some reassurance that much work is underway.
Best wishes all
Heather

pepperminty

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2022, 04:35:30 PM »

I do hope that Postmeno3 comes back to the forum.

If this were a medication that a million ( I believe that is how many women are on HRT in the UK) men required to function in their daily lives to be able to work etc without sweating, anxiety - I could go on , then this would have never been an issue. And if it was they would have sorted it by now.

For too long nothing has been done. We need more than a tsar- we have many women and male doctors and MP's already continually bringing the lack of knowledge and options available to women to the for front and nothing has been done.
 The options of HRT have been dwindling as the pharmaceutical companies have withdrawn them bit by bit.
Many Gp's haven't a clue how to prescribe and what the risks and benefits are - what is the difference between Menopause and other conditions ? Only half the population get it and they are women.

HRT prevents osteoporosis and heart disease  good evidence shows  maybe dementia.

Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding.

Meanwhile ladies swop HRT in car parks because they need the one they find that suited them - not the alternative they were given.

PMXX

Marchlove

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »

Well put Pepperminty, I wish Postmeno3 would come back too  :(

pepperminty

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »

Well put Pepperminty, I wish Postmeno3 would come back too  :(

Indeed. x

This could actually be fixed quickly- the medication  is out there - no excuses!

How about giving Gp's training - a weeks education on up to date prescribing and evidence!
PMxx

Joaniepat

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2022, 06:42:55 PM »

Free, CPD accredited training is already out there from, for example, Louise Newson's Menopause Charity. It wouldn't even take a week. It's just a case of them finding the time and having the willingness to do it.
JP x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5