Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Elevated thyroid antibodies but the hormone test normal  (Read 1283 times)

Stella2

Elevated thyroid antibodies but the hormone test normal
« on: May 06, 2022, 09:50:53 AM »

I see that many ladies here are very knowledgeable and I hope someone will be able to explain to me a bit more about this.

The thyroid issues run in my family and when I started having that many hot flushes, tiredness and anxiety/depression I asked for the blood test. The result was that i have antibodies but the hormones are OK. However, I can never get the results and this is only relayed over the phone. Furthermore I developed strange feeling under my chin, not lymph related, GP assumes it's muscular so I am doing some exercise for this.

Now I have been on HRT for 5 months and I wonder if I need to do anything further relating to my thyroid apart from annual thyroid hormones test. Would anyone be able to give me some advice?

Marchlove

Re: Elevated thyroid antibodies but the hormone test normal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:59:20 AM »

Hi Stella2

Buy the book ‘Stop the thyroid Madness’ second edition.
Hopefully ATB will be along soon as she is far more knowledgeable than me as I’ve just started on my thyroid journey.
But definitely if you have antibodies you need thyroid treatment! X

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 02:19:41 PM »

It seems the 'within normal range' the nhs doesn't mean you feel well it just means the nhs won't treat you until you're worse. The results are your data, they can't refuse to give it to you.

ATB

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 03:01:07 PM »

Hello, I’m hypothyroid and have run a support group before. I went private for diagnosis and treatment because the NHS is as useless with thyroid issues as they are with menopause. If your antibodies are elevated, you have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. You are hypothyroid.  You should *always* ask for your results and are entitled to receive them. The full thyroid panel should include TSH ( although I would not accept a diagnosis or lack of one based on this, it’s a messenger hormone only ), Free T3 ( result in upper quarter of range is optimal ) Free T4 ( result in upper half of range ) and Reverse T3 ( let’s you know if you can convert T4 to T3 or if you need both hormones replaced ) and both antibody tests. I also advise a full iron panel, Vitamin D, B12. As a minimum. My doctor also advised a urine iodine loading test. You collect a sample, then take a mega dose of iodine, then collect urine over 24 hours to see if you absorb or excrete it. Excreting it and getting a low result suggests something is blocking uptake. Iodine is necessary for thyroid function unless you take thyroid hormones- although this is a debated area some think thyroid patients should take it too. You may have goitre if you’re feeling like you have a swelling or something around the thyroid area.

You can also be hypothyroid without elevated antibodies.

Stop the Thyroid Madness is a great website full of all this information and more, plus they have books.

In the UK, Medichecks is a good private lab with fairly inexpensive tests and doctors who understand both the results and what they mean if you take thyroid hormones as it affects the TSH a lot.

If you need any more help with reading tests, selecting which ones to do through labs or anything else , please feel free to ask or PM. Being hypothyroid can be difficult in the UK with the NHS but if you can afford to go private then it doesn’t have to be more than a slight nuisance. Menopause is a lot worse for me! Thyroid issues also run in my family, both sides. 

Stella2

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 05:32:19 PM »

Thank you Marchlove, Sheila and ATB for taking the time to respond and clarify this to me. I searched the internet and found contradictory information so now I know where to start. Thank you for offering help with tests ATB, grateful for your advice! I don't think I can afford to go private, although I may be able to afford the test so I will check that x

Marchlove

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 07:59:17 PM »

The test and the book would be a great start. You’ll be so better informed to tackle your Gp. Well done xx

ATB

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 09:23:57 PM »

At the very minimum you could get a Free T3 & Free T4 test at Medichecks for £39, Those two are essential, as you already know you have elevated antibodies- ask for a copy of that test. The website is also a good source of info:
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/hashimotos/

Stella2

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »

Thank you both! X