Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Will it get better?  (Read 1867 times)

Hellyjellybelly

• First Flush
Will it get better?
« on: May 12, 2022, 02:35:36 PM »

Hi all, just looking for some advice from my fellow HRT’ers. I’m 57, 4 years post menopause. Dealt with the physical effects of menopause quite well. But bit by bit, the anxiety, generally feeling low, lack of oomph for the basic everyday tasks, cancelling social events has gradually worsened to the point of a few full on panic attacks last year which marked a turning point really - time to seek help. Whilst chatting to a friend, she mentioned this might all be menopause related … and I had never put 2 and 2 together before! I always regarded menopause as a physical thing. So after some research and Davina’s documentary,  I called the GP. She immediately suggested betablockers and antidepressants but I refused and asked instead about HRT. She said I could try it if I wanted but it might not be enough. She then said “we’re 5 mins into a 7 min consultation what would you like me to do?”!!! I was prescribed Evorel 25 and Utrogestan 100. After about 3 weeks I thought I felt better. 8 months on I didn’t feel it was working any more. I decided to get an appt at Louise Newson’s clinic for some proper, considered, unhurried advice. So now I’ve been put on Evorel 50 patches, same Utrogestan, Vagifemme vaginal oestrogen pessaries and Androfeme testosterone cream. 10 days in, I feel crap, not to mention my ever-increasing waistline and boobs! Really nauseous and very low. Maybe it’s not for me? Maybe the GP was right and the antidepressants are the way forward. Will it ever get better?? What do you all think?

Floradora

Re: Will it get better?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 04:36:27 PM »

Yes it will get better! Sorry that you’re feeling nauseous and low. In your new regime you have basically doubled your dose of estrogen as well as adding in testosterone. In my experience it’s always better to change one thing at a time very slowly so that you can assess the effect. If it were me, I’d cut a bit off your 50mcg patch, 1/4 or even 1/3. Just make it more than half which would be equivalent to the 25mcg you were on. This should eliminate the nausea ,bloating sore boobs etc. Then once you are settled, very slowly increase the size of the patch over the next few weeks and see how you get on. You may then find you can settle on the 50 nicely or you might find that your sweet spot is somewhere between 25 and 50 and you can stick at that. Personally, I would not add in testosterone until you are comfortable and settled on your increased estrogen regime in a few weeks time. Hope you feel better soon .

Hellyjellybelly

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 06:13:14 PM »

Hi Floradora, thanks for your reply. I’ll take all those suggestions on board. I’ve considered speaking to the GP again to see if she’ll give me a low dose of anti depressant but I’m scared my body will go into meltdown with all these changes! I need to feel better. Got a month away in June and, right now, I can barely muster the enthusiasm to leave the house!  :'(

ange63

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »

I'm reading and watching with interest.  I've been put on the same HRT by Newson.    I'm starting low and building up due to intolerances on other meds.    Also vaginal progesterone due to stomach issues I hve.   Interesting reading about balance of hormones and not too much but cutting patches to get a mid-level.     Thanks for the information and hope it works out. x

ange63

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 09:16:15 AM »

sorry, Helly, meant to say also that I'm 59, 5 years post meno, and all of my debilitating emotional symptoms only started 6 months ago.  I was managing physical and minor emotional symptoms ok but then bam the rest hit me.        YOu are not the only one this has happened to.....  take care x

ange63

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »

Well, got to day 3 on 1/4 patch and felt couple of things picking up e.g. .dry eye and VA moisturisation.   BUT terrible anxiety hit me.     Wrote to Newson and got quick reply to cut back to Got l very low dose and see if can build up very slowly.   So disappointed.   I'm having a think about it but have so many things going on at moment that will wait until I have a quiet time to give it another go.    x