Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Declaring ‘menopause’ on travel insurance!  (Read 7214 times)

Songbird

Declaring ‘menopause’ on travel insurance!
« on: April 16, 2022, 01:16:12 PM »

Just wondered if any of you ladies have declared taking HRT when buying a travel insurance policy?!
We have a policy with the RAC and I asked if menopause is classed as a pre-existing condition (fully expecting them to say that it was not required to be disclosed) but it’s looking as if I might have to declare it with an increase in premium  :o…..

Dierdre

Re: Declaring ‘menopause’ on travel insurance!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 03:20:20 PM »

I declared vaginal atropy once and it cost me more, had to pay £15 extra for screening fee only to be told no action needed. You can get HRT over the counter if you lose it including local oestrogen in most EU countries including Spain. Just take a copy of your prescription.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:04:17 AM by Dierdre »

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 03:39:39 PM »

Thanks Dierdre.  :)

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 07:20:40 PM »

When I told the nationwide travel insurance they just issued me a note to say it was covered at no extra cost. However it seems to be better to call rather than do it online.

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 08:13:04 PM »

That’s good to know, ‘Hopeful’….
I have to say, I don’t see why there should be an additional premium applied because someone takes a medication to try to alleviate a problematic/annoying condition  ???
Seems to me it’s just insurance companies attempting to get more money out of you  :angryfire:
Rant over  >:(;)

VictoryV

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 10:15:52 PM »

I think you’re right in being honest Songbird, you want the policy to pay out if the proverbial hits the fan! Enjoy your hols☀️

Songbird

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »

Yep, I agree Victoria V.  I’ll tell you what, the proverbial did hit the fan a few years back when my lovely mum was on a cruise with us.  She took a stroke onboard, we were off loaded in Cadiz and mum and I were in a Spanish hospital for a fortnight  :-\……..
Thank goodness she had insurance as the final bill was in excess of £15,000  :o
And the insurance company held back £300 because I forgot to add one medication that my mum was taking  :(…..  The experience has made me super cautious now xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 04:01:24 PM »

It wouldn't cross my mind to declare menopause, it's not an illness after all! The important issue with all Policies is to make sure that you are fully covered for a stay in hospital as well as B&B for Partner as the visiting person, and for a flight to get you from that hospital to one in the UK.  Advice given recently on Sat Telegraph travel section. 

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »

It wouldn't cross my mind to declare menopause, it's not an illness after all! The important issue with all Policies is to make sure that you are fully covered for a stay in hospital as well as B&B for Partner as the visiting person, and for a flight to get you from that hospital to one in the UK.  Advice given recently on Sat Telegraph travel section.
  The problem is if the insurer says you must declare any conditions discussed with a doctor or for which you take medication. I don't think we should have to declare it but....

Songbird

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 07:35:36 PM »

Yep. That's what I was thinking, Katejo.

I worded the first post poorly actually. Clearly menopause itself isn't a "pre existing condition" but medication taken to alleviate physical symptoms (palpitations etc) or psychological symptoms relating to menopause may be something an insurance company would expect to have disclosed??
I'll find out on Tuesday anyway.  I may be a touch sensitive about it because of what happened to mum  :'(...
Thanks for your thoughts ladies xx

Nik2502

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 08:54:43 AM »

:) Surely we wouldn’t declare we’ve got our period or are on the pill? X

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 09:10:50 AM »

I declared vaginal atropy once and it cost me more, I've never done that again! You can get HRT over the counter if you lose it including local oestrogen in most EU countries including Spain. Just take a copy of your prescription.
Although it cost me more this was an admin fee for an online consultation. The consultation which was part of the travel insurance application process then confirmed no action necessary for this condition, which is why I've not bothered again.  A note was added to the insurance documents stating this.

VictoryV

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »

I think the question is a long the lines of “have you been prescribed any medication within the last two years?” I was prescribed a 14 day course of sleepers in 2016 so in 2017 I admitted that and it was added to my policy with no charge.
Thanks for the reminder Songbird, I need to add various HRT. Hope your’s gets sorted easily.☀️

Deidre- just seen your post, sounds unfair!