Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Starting HRT  (Read 1724 times)

Jules.smithy

• First Flush
Starting HRT
« on: November 12, 2022, 06:31:07 AM »

Hi ladies I’m new on here and have a couple of questions on HRT. I’m 7 years post menopause been through all the worst of menopause and better now but always have a lingering lack of energy and lethargic also no spark in how I feel. I have decided to start HRT and been given Oestrogel gel and  utrogestan tablets. Only been on two weeks and energy fantastic, however in this 2nd week I’m experiencing some mood swings irritability like I used to get with pmt. Will this settle does anyone know or is just early days and body getting used it it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 09:51:55 AM »

Morning.  Can't help but didn't want to dash by without  :welcomemm:

Could it be that your hormones are joining in with the HRT?  "all the worst of menopause" - R U able to explain more to give us a clue?

Browse round.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 12:47:36 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Ultrogestan can cause the mood swings. If it is not too bad then hopefully they will ease once your body gets used to it. If it is causing you distress then you mean want to try a different progesterone.

Jules.smithy

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 05:29:24 AM »

Thanks ladies. I’m now two weeks in and mood seems to have stabilised somewhat,   although flushes are returning, not been getting these for a while as 7 years post menopause . I started taking this hrt mainly for low mood and lack of energy. I think your right that I have to persevere and give it time to settle . I would think my own levels were all very low as not had period for years so my body is adjusting again to having the hormones, I shall give it three months and see where I am then.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »

I hope that goes well for you. Please continue to use the forum. It is a great place for support or just to chat.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 01:04:35 PM »

What was suggested, other than HRT for the low mood and lack of energy?   The latter can be caused by low VitD levels as well as thyroid function upheaval which can be affected by the Change.  Low mood can be addressed by medication - how much sunshine do you get?  Looking at the weather here right now, not a lot today!

Browse round.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

sammy828

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 11:12:28 PM »

How much estrogen and progestin?  I restarted, only on a very small dose, yet I find it helping, especially with urogenital symptoms.

Jules.smithy

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »

Hi all sorry I’ve not checked in for a while, I’ve been doing ok but am now just over a month in and am staring to have ibs attacks , something I’ve had before but I usually know the trigger and I don’t feel at all stressed atm so I think the hrt is causing this , I will have to see how it goes as feel awful , I will monitor it and if doesn’t settle I think hrt may be the culprit. I get plenty of fresh air and sun when it’s about as I like walking and the outdoors, definitely not much of that right now in U.K.

Jules.smithy

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 09:00:21 PM »

Sammy I’m on Estrogel 750 micro grams and progesterone 100. I’ve increased to two pumps estrogen as I was experiencing flushes but I’m going to try going back down to 1 pump and see if ibs settles

Jules.smithy

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 04:15:31 PM »

Sorry about the spelling blame it on the hormones 😬 🤣 also having some anxiety now. Hope all settles , need to give it the three months to see if it will be for me . Been looking at other posts and seems it’s never easy what ever you choose .

DottyD68

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 10:22:51 PM »

Hi Jules.smithy

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. I finally started HRT 16 months ago after battling through a range of symptoms for 6-7 years. I found that for me HRT hasnt been a black and white fix-all, however, overall it has improved many of the symptoms I was experiencing.

Despite being on HRT my own hormones fluctuating during my own monthly cycle have caused a variety of different symptoms coming and going at different times of the month. I keep a daily diary to record these to see if I can see a pattern emerging that will hopefully try and help me tweak my HRT. It is amazing how powerful hormones are affecting every part of our bodies and how them being balanced is so important to our well-being. I go through phases where most of my symptoms have disappeared only to find they reappear some months later for a period of time. I am hoping that once I have reached menopause and my own hormones have stopped fluctuating that the symptoms will be reduced more permanently.

Maybe keep a diary and you will be able to  establish a pattern. Hope this helps. X

Jules.smithy

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 05:39:17 AM »

Thank you Dotty for your feed back. I am 6 years post menopause and the flat mood and sluggishness was the only symptom I had left, since starting the hrt those two symptoms have improved a great deal, however it has brought back some anxiety I think this is the main issue and yesterday I even had a migraine the 1st one since I first stopped my periods , I will monitor to see if this persists, perhaps my body has to get used to having a push on these hormones that have obviously been very low for a number of years, I’m 6 weeks in and I believe it can take a while to settle , I shall persevere for the full three months trial.

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 09:29:56 AM »

Hello Jules.smithy and welcome to the forum

I am also well post meno but I have been reducing my HRT recently. I was following the advice of a Consultant who believed that 'less is more'. I hoped that he meant that a lower dose would mean more mood stability as mood changes were my only remaining symptom. In the last few weeks however I have also seen a return of more physical symptoms such as vaginal dryness, hot flushes, night sweats and headaches. Annoyingly my moods are still very changeable.
It seems that any hormonal change has an impact!

I agree that we have to give any new regime time to settle in.

Take care.

K.