Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 912 times)

Rachmc55

• First Flush
Just joined
« on: April 12, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »

Hello all, I have just joined this forum and must admit to being slightly unsure about sharing my experiences. However, I am in such confusion and anxiety about this stage of life. I turned 55 in March and after not having had a period in about 7 months, I thought, with the exception of the occasional hot flush, I was getting away quite lightly. Then about 3 weeks ago I woke up to a heavy period and the most crushing anxiety.

Since then my skin has got spotty, my breasts ache and I have been an emotional wreck, unable to concentrate on my work, lacking energy in anything and wondering what to expect next! In some ways I feel like I’m 15 again. :)

Is this normal? I hate doctors, have severe health anxiety and since turning 55 I’m suddenly aware of my own mortality! My partner doesn’t have a clue how to help me, my Mum has dementia and I don’t have many female friends to share things with.

I think I should probably leave it there for now, that’s enough of an introduction  :)

PeriWhat?!

Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »

Hi and welcome! Those symptoms are all very familiar to me, as I'm sure they will be to lots of people on here, and there is definitely help out there for your symptoms.

GP probably is your first step, perhaps think about what sort of help you want to get so you can go in with some knowledge of what you want to ask for?

I tried over-the-counter herbal remedies for a few years before starting HRT - they didn't do much for my worsening perimenopause symptoms tbh, except vitamin B12 helped ever-so slightly with anxiety. HRT is helping much more and I now wish I'd started it sooner. The main thing I wish I'd known about HRT when I was resistant to it is that it tackles physical symptoms first (for eg hot flushes, sore boobs, crawly skin feeling) but the mental symptoms take longer. Even then, not everyone hits the jackpot with the best regime for them first time.

This place is fantastic for educating yourself but don't be scared to ask specific questions - I often find myself here when I'm already struggling with anxiety and that can make the massive list of topics and discussions feel a bit overwhelming. On bad days, it's definitely easier just to ask. :)

Mayflower

Re: Just joined
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 08:51:38 PM »

Hi, I think there is no "normal", everyone is different with their own combination of symptoms and unfortunately for most it's a rocky road.
I think of it as puberty in reverse so that I have something to look forward to at the end of it all.  ???