Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Veggie/vegan progesterone options  (Read 5267 times)

AdeleW

• First Flush
Veggie/vegan progesterone options
« on: April 11, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »

Hi everyone, just joined the forum and wondering if anyone else has run into problems finding a body-identical progesterone option that doesn't come in a gelatin capsule? I've been taking Utrogestan since December and only recently thought to check the ingredients - I'm now bursting the capsule and squeezing the contents out! But I'd really prefer not to be having these again. Doc says Utrogestan is the only body-identical option - patches etc all 'bio-identical' which evidently is not the same. I'm sure she knows her stuff but maybe other UK ladies have encountered this and found an alternative. Or maybe there's loads of vegetarian HRT users out there who don't realise what's in the tablets?? It seems so unnecessary - I did email the manufacturers who said they'd take my feedback onboard but they've got no reason to change as it seems they have no competition here. Anyway, all thoughts welcome! Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Veggie/vegan progesterone options
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 08:11:32 PM »

The manufacturers will package medication in what works for the majority of people.  Gelatin can be synthesised as can most organic things. [ 'things' isn't the word I'm looking for but it's late  :-\].  Sorry.

Medication is packaged in certain sizes in order to deliver the product in the safest way to the best benefit of the user.  Messing about may mean that not enough is used.

Sometimes we have to accept that stepping outside our current life style can help our over-all health.   :welcomemm: browse round.

What other products do you avoid ?  Interesting topic .......... 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 07:52:50 AM »

Like you,I'm veggie and also find it difficult to find prescribed drugs without gelatine,which I find infuriating in this day and age,as there is absolutely no way they need to use this disgusting stuff but like clkd says sometimes we have to decide which is a priority and sadly I've had to endure ABs with gelatin capsules but if more people push for a change,it may happen,I always mention it to my Dr. The likes of Holland & Barrett do veggie capsules so why can't pharmaceutical companies 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 08:11:46 AM »

What is the substitute though jaypo? 

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 09:56:17 AM »

You get veggie gelatine now,rowantree jellies are now gelatine free as are children's chewy sweets,fruit pastilles and the like,so there is no need for animal gelatine,maybe it's more expensive to make?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »

MayB the production lines have to be altered ? or it's more expensive to buy in?

I don't like fruit gums etc.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 03:28:44 PM »

If may have to go through the whole testing and licensing process again if they change it. Vegan/vegetarianism is very much a first world issue though. Pharmaceutical companies tend to global, or at least sell globally, so I suspect those that care about it are a tiny fraction of their market. I'd be interested to know if the veggie option competes on efficiency and price. If it does I see no reason why future medication can't make use of it.

ATB

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 10:48:47 AM »

Plenty of capsules are vegan friendly these days so they really should consider it, especially as it affects vegetarians as well, of which there are plenty around the world.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »

Are U able to explain what the 'vegan' option is made of  :-\ ..........

ATB

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »

Often a type of seaweed I believe.

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 01:20:57 PM »

Also plant gum,I'm guessing it's way more expensive to produce,hence the reason pharmaceutical companies are not producing it  >:(

ATB

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 01:27:18 PM »

A lot of supplements now use vegan gelatin and other common medicines. Like a lot about menopause and female related stuff, it’s slow to catch up IMO

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 01:33:52 PM »

The Vegan Review explains it really well.    8)

It's put me right off my grub ........ I don't like jelly anyway and as for trifle  :-X

ATB

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »

Seaweed or boiled skin, tendons or bones… definitely rather the seaweed! I love trifle!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »

:lol: apart from jelly, everything in trifle is yummy, I had to stop myself buying some of those 'finger' things that lay in the bottom of the dish.  If I had a packet I would eat them all in. one go  :o  :-X

Pages: [1] 2 3