Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Periods  (Read 721 times)

Mandypands

Periods
« on: April 09, 2022, 07:28:47 AM »

Hello, not been able to find out this information anywhere. I asked my GP but she actually didn't answer me! I am on HRT because of perimenopause symptoms and have been on it almost 2 years. I am 52 this year. I have just changed from Estelle Conti to Femoston 2/10. Will my periods stop eventually on this HRT or does the combination pill always make you have a bleed? If it always makes you have a bleed, how do you know when you have reached menopause?

Mogster71

Re: Periods
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 07:47:06 AM »

Femeston 2/10 is a sequential HRT so you have 2 weeks oestrogen only, then 2 weeks with the added progesterone, which will bring you a bleed at/towards the end of the pack. When you started your HRT were you still having periods of your own?

If you mean Elleste conti duo, did you get a bleed with this? I think its actually a continuous combined - they generally give this to post menopausal ladies or if you've been on HRT for a year I thought. Did she give you a reason for changing?

In terms of the "how do you know when you've reached menopause" I am in the same boat as you, I have no idea where I am because I've been on HRT for over 2 years. I've had to stop my regime temporarily (and boy do I feel it). I suppose you would have to stop it and see how long it was before you had a bleed/any symptoms? x

Mandypands

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 07:52:37 AM »

Sorry, was on Elleste Duet. Was having periods before starting HRT. I changed due to high levels of anxiety and insomnia during the progestogen part of the Elleste Duet.

Mogster71

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 08:03:02 AM »

Oh poor you.
It may have been a switch due to the different type of progesterone in each preparation; Elleste has norethisterone and Femoston has dydrogesterone. The Femoston has often been said to have a "gentler" progesterone, which was certainly the case for me. I got on really well with it but I eventually moved to patches as I suffer with headaches, and it was in the hope that taking it transdermally would be better.

Maybe see how you get on with the Femoston 2/10? They do a continuous version as well so perhaps if you tolerate the progesterone better in this one you could ask to be moved a bit later if you want a bleed-free regime. Does your doctor know you would rather be without periods if they are troublesome?You may even be able to go to the continuous straight away if she agrees. I hope you get it sorted, anxiety and poor sleep will make you feel worse regardless.

Mandypands

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 08:25:32 AM »

Thank you for your replies and advice. Didn't know about the continuous type and not having a period with this. GP has never mentioned it. The GP has only ever suggested transxemic acid or having the Mirena fitted if periods become troublesome. I have said several times that I had a Mirena for about a year and a half around 12 years ago and the side effects were awful and I had it removed.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 10:04:04 AM »

A conti regime is only suitable if you're meno (1 year without a bleed). When you're peri the gp is right, you should be on a sequi regime. The exception to this is the mirena which can be used to be bleed free in peri.